Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Cell Phone? CDMA VS GSM.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:58 AM
Chris WebMaster
Talk To The Hand!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cell Phone? CDMA VS GSM.

Can someone explain the difference between the two.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2005, 09:01 AM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CDMA Vs GSM

Global System for Mobile communication (GSM) is a digital mobile telephone system that is widely used in Europe and other parts of the world. GSM uses a variation of time division multiple access (TDMA) and is the most widely used of the three digital wireless telephone technologies (TDMA, GSM, and CDMA). GSM digitizes and compresses data, then sends it down a channel with two other streams of user data, each in its own time slot. It operates at either the 900 MHz or 1800 MHz frequency band.

Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) is a digital wireless technology that was pioneered and commercially developed by QUALCOMM.

CDMA works by converting speech into digital information, which is then transmitted as a radio signal over a wireless network. Using a unique code to distinguish each different call, CDMA enables many more people to share the airwaves at the same time - without static, cross-talk or interference.

Commercially introduced in 1995, CDMA quickly became one of the world's fastest-growing wireless technologies. In 1999, the International Telecommunications Union selected CDMA as the industry standard for new "third-generation" (3G) wireless systems. Many leading wireless carriers are now building or upgrading to 3G CDMA networks in order to provide more capacity for voice traffic, along with high-speed data capabilities.

If you are among those who still cannot decide whether to go in for Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA)-based "limited mobility" phones or the "full-fledged" cellular phone services provided by GSM (Global System for Mobile) operators, you are not the only one in this club.

What's in it for you?

First, the service. One of the limitations of a WLL (limited mobility) phone is that the user cannot go beyond a short distance charging area (SDCA) - which is roughly a radius of 25 km.

So when the subscriber is in one location (say London), all calls landing on the user's another (say Manchester) phone number will be forwarded to a pre-allocated number in Mumbai. The user does not have to change the handset or put in a new SIM card for availing this facility.

However, when the user is in transit between the two cities, the phone does not work, unlike a GSM phone which offers roaming anywhere in the world.

When it comes to data services, there is not much difference between GSM cellular operators and CDMA.

Subscribers on either network will be able to send and receive e-mail, surf the Net, watch video clippings, send multimedia messages, and download games and ringtones.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

cdma - verizon

gsm - cingular, t-mobile, cellone, more
Old 04-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Basically, GSM stands to make a lot of improvements and the phone hardware is a lot better, but the CDMA network here in the US is a lot better than the GSM network. Also, most phones that have CDMA technology can use analog lines, so you can make a call from almost everywhere. GSM uses less battery than CDMA, and has the potential for better voice quality, but the actual network integrity of the CDMA network is a lot better. I would ask your local friends to see who's the most happy with their providers, and go with that one. I personally went with Verizon (CDMA) because of better network reliability and better customer service, but I really wouldn't mind a GSM phone. The other plus is that some GSM phones can be used internationally with no problem.

CDMA also, in many populated areas, can support faster data transfer rates than GSM (1.44mbps as opposed to GSM's 1Mbps), and now EV-DO CDMA (allows streaming video content, etc) is available to Verizon customers in certain metropolitan areas.

Or, you could always get Verizon's new Samsung phone that supports both CDMA and GSM, but that phone's ugly
Old 04-06-2005, 09:18 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

in the northeast the GSM network suxorz.... i use CDMA for lyfe y0!
Old 04-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

only reason i got cingular is because its cheaper than verizon and i can use other provider's towers(like t-mobile) and not be charged roaming.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Tark

GSM is great for big city. It offer smaller phone you can go almost anywhere in the world provided your phone in unlocked and that you have a sim card from a GSM provider in that region or else be prepared for very expensive billing. GSM generally has longer battery life then CDMA. You also will find "cooler phones" in GSM because it is more popular.
CDMA's network can use analog signal. Analog is a stronger but the quality suck most CDMA phone uses digital AND analog. The phone is usually programmed to use the digital signal by default however if you are in a region(or building) were the digital network in not available the analog kick in. might be more noise but at least you have a signal(gsm wont give you signal at all). CDMA is also better for connectivity. Higher speed, always connected are some of the features of CDMA that will make it the preferred technology for the future.
In the telecommunication industry it is generally accepted that CDMA is the future mostly because of the connection speed (2MBps in the G3) and the main reason GSM is more popular is because CDMA in fairly new (1995).

BTW before any one post all kind of information about how i can be wrong on some points... i know i over simplified it but this is what i tell my clients. It is some sort of an easy way to explain the difference between both.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:25 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by Tark
GSM is great for big city. It offer smaller phone you can go almost anywhere in the world provided your phone in unlocked and that you have a sim card from a GSM provider in that region or else be prepared for very expensive billing. GSM generally has longer battery life then CDMA. You also will find "cooler phones" in GSM because it is more popular.
CDMA's network can use analog signal. Analog is a stronger but the quality suck most CDMA phone uses digital AND analog. The phone is usually programmed to use the digital signal by default however if you are in a region(or building) were the digital network in not available the analog kick in. might be more noise but at least you have a signal(gsm wont give you signal at all). CDMA is also better for connectivity. Higher speed, always connected are some of the features of CDMA that will make it the preferred technology for the future.
In the telecommunication industry it is generally accepted that CDMA is the future mostly because of the connection speed (2MBps in the G3) and the main reason GSM is more popular is because CDMA in fairly new (1995).

BTW before any one post all kind of information about how i can be wrong on some points... i know i over simplified it but this is what i tell my clients. It is some sort of an easy way to explain the difference between both.
CDMA is better in my eye, just cause of it's compatability. i think if there was a way to integrate sim-card type technology into CDMA phones it would best GSM
Old 04-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by Tark

CDMA has better wall and building penetration than GSM too
Old 04-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GSM has cooler phones :happysad:
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net