Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

What do you guys think about merit-based pay for teachers?

Old 03-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRfrank
i'm against it, tachers do didly squat and should be paid NOTHING
it's always the paraprofessionals, aid's and LC teachers that do all the work... not these schmucks
i know my teachers did a lot and they helped me...dunno what happened where you went to school but a lot of my teachers were great people. I wouldn't be at a university today if they didn't challenge me. It's students who don't challenge themselves that make teachers look like they don't do anything.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:25 PM
DakarM

it's true, at least at a elementry level

no even at elementary level you are over generalizing.

maybe that was your personal experience. ever heard of the phrase big fish in a small pond?
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:30 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaKarMaul
no even at elementary level you are over generalizing.

maybe that was your personal experience. ever heard of the phrase big fish in a small pond?
have you ever worked in the public school system at those levels?

the teachers pawn the kids off on the para's and aid's, then get pissed when they arent around...

you know that teachers in our town at a highschool level get 3 full periods off? one off, one for lunch, and one for doing grading on tests and such. the only problem is they grade tests while ppl are taking them, and homework is usually just checked off.

i know how the system works, iwas surrounded by it for 4 years. PPT's and arenas, with tri-annual work.

in fact the only work i've seen teachers do is when they have to have a course plan made. in case they god forbid use their 25 sick days they are granted throughout the year, a sub will know what has to be done that day.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:35 PM
DakarM

have you ever worked in the public school system at those levels?

the teachers pawn the kids off on the para's and aid's, then get pissed when they arent around...

you know that teachers in our town at a highschool level get 3 full periods off? one off, one for lunch, and one for doing grading on tests and such. the only problem is they grade tests while ppl are taking them, and homework is usually just checked off.

i know how the system works, iwas surrounded by it for 4 years. PPT's and arenas, with tri-annual work.

in fact the only work i've seen teachers do is when they have to have a course plan made. in case they god forbid use their 25 sick days they are granted throughout the year, a sub will know what has to be done that day.

again that's your small experience. and yes i actually have as a volunteer and I went through the US public education system 3-12.

your experience doesn't apply to every k-6 teacher like you're making it out to be.
LCD Squad #0001
Old 03-12-2005, 01:37 PM
jlammy
w00t

i'm against it, tachers do didly squat and should be paid NOTHING
it's always the paraprofessionals, aid's and LC teachers that do all the work... not these schmucks

that is the dumbest post I read on this forum today. Congratulations.

Team B.O.B.™ - Ballaz on a Budget

R.I.P Huan Vo 11-19-2008
Old 03-12-2005, 01:44 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by DaKarMaul
again that's your small experience. and yes i actually have as a volunteer and I went through the US public education system 3-12.

your experience doesn't apply to every k-6 teacher like you're making it out to be.
ok, i agree it doesnt happen with all, but it is the case with MANY teachers at those levels, they just do not want to try anymore because they are getting sick of all the stuff they have to do.

you just wouldnt notice it unless you were the one geting shit on.

in the elementry level many aid's and paras work with multiple teachers, and when you tell an aid to do somthing, they are also being told at that time by 10 other people to do somthing. at which point you start doing MORE than the teachers themseleves...
Old 03-12-2005, 01:47 PM
DakarM

ok, i agree it doesnt happen with all, but it is the case with MANY teachers at those levels, they just do not want to try anymore because they are getting sick of all the stuff they have to do.

in the elementry level many aid's and paras work with multiple teachers, and when you tell an aid to do somthing, they are also being told at that time by 10 other people to do somthing. at which point you start doing MORE than the teachers themseleves...
you know you've already lost credibility imo and i'm sure of others as well so you can stop trying.
LCD Squad #0001
Old 03-12-2005, 02:09 PM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

Wow, just wow. The aids usually have education degrees with special ed masters, so I really don't see what you're complaining about. It's not like they didn't know that they were going to have a lot of work. Any good education program will put the student in a classroom setting for at least 20 hours a semester in their freshman year so that they can see what they are "getting into."
Old 03-12-2005, 02:22 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by redgoober4life
Wow, just wow. The aids usually have education degrees with special ed masters, so I really don't see what you're complaining about. It's not like they didn't know that they were going to have a lot of work. Any good education program will put the student in a classroom setting for at least 20 hours a semester in their freshman year so that they can see what they are "getting into."
At an elementry level most of the aids have absoloutly no college experience, the ones that do are actually LC or Resource room aids that are required by law to have degrees because of the children they work with

althogth conneticut has brought a new law to the front requiring all aids to have some college experience or at least an understanding of what the students should be learning ("parapro" somethign i know all to well gives out exams to paras to show how wellt hey know the material)

and the one thing many overlook is that it is the teachers thing to teach, and everyone else is there to be a babysitter to these kids.

:edit:
and as for what they are "getting into"

it's not the truth. these teachers that come in that are students never do any real work, they kiss ass until the semester is done, but out of the 21 kids in the elementry class there is always the 1 or 2 problem children that no one wants to deal with.

when a male high school gym teacher has trouble with the "safety" position (holding the child from behind) and becuase hte child is such mis-behaved, and then having teachers stuff them in your face, tell you to deal with them, then get mad when you show any form of frustration, it is wrong.

it's all political bullshit and it's not right. yall do not know how the system really works, and it is sad to see hard working people who have no degrees get shit on just because people with them think they are better in some way. thats all that i am saying
Old 03-12-2005, 03:40 PM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

At an elementry level most of the aids have absoloutly no college experience, the ones that do are actually LC or Resource room aids that are required by law to have degrees because of the children they work with

althogth conneticut has brought a new law to the front requiring all aids to have some college experience or at least an understanding of what the students should be learning ("parapro" somethign i know all to well gives out exams to paras to show how wellt hey know the material)

and the one thing many overlook is that it is the teachers thing to teach, and everyone else is there to be a babysitter to these kids.

:edit:
and as for what they are "getting into"

it's not the truth. these teachers that come in that are students never do any real work, they kiss ass until the semester is done, but out of the 21 kids in the elementry class there is always the 1 or 2 problem children that no one wants to deal with.

when a male high school gym teacher has trouble with the "safety" position (holding the child from behind) and becuase hte child is such mis-behaved, and then having teachers stuff them in your face, tell you to deal with them, then get mad when you show any form of frustration, it is wrong.

it's all political bullshit and it's not right. yall do not know how the system really works, and it is sad to see hard working people who have no degrees get shit on just because people with them think they are better in some way. thats all that i am saying

This isn't the case in NYS, but since I have no experience with the matter first hand, I don't think it's my position to judge it.