Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Advanced weapons & technology in China's hands? NYTimes...

Old 02-23-2005, 06:37 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced weapons & technology in China's hands? NYTimes...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/23/in...3prexy.html?th

this is most intriguing. the US is covering their true fear of a military stand-off with China, not so much rogue nations using them.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:14 AM
AcuraFanatic

It appears I am not a member, so it appears that I do not care. h:
Old 02-23-2005, 07:18 AM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

i hear a world war 3.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:36 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

it's called bruce lee jr with an ipod.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:54 PM
mayonaise

china has made many promises to the international community that it has blatantly broken (read, WTO membership). the europeans are either incredibly ignorant in thinking that china will follow any "code of conduct" for arms dealings, or they are fully aware that they *will not*, and intend to take full advantage of that fact.

china needs to be stopped. the world let them get away with tibet, and will likely turn a blind eye if/when china decides to invade taiwan. china has been selling arms to countries like iran and iraq (illegally) for years, and who even knows what they've been supplying to their ally, north korea... they actively embrace capitalism for their own gain, but firmly enforce their tyrranical and arrogant policies not only on their own people, but on the rest of the world. they spit on the economies of the world by actively ignoring international patent and copyright laws (and i'm not just talking about pirated DVD's and CD's). they oppress and torture anyone that speaks out against the government.

china needs to be stopped, but god help anyone who gets in a war with them. unless it is literally the rest of the first-world against china, there will be little hope of winning.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:03 PM
AP2
Moderator Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys do realize most of their arms are cheap knock-offs of other designs?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:12 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

i agree with you.

in their current military state, however, they are no comparison to the US:

China would have the advantage of an infantry ground assault, however the tactics of modern warfare call for air strikes and navy dominance. unlike the US, china does not have force-projection so any fighting will be done on Chinese soil or surrounding areas.

China doesn't have the state-of-the-art radar system that the US and most western states have. A B-2 Stealth bomber wouldn't even appear on their radar screens, thus giving us another advantage.

China has nuclear weapons, that's no surprise. however, all nuclear-power states agree on M.A.D. (Mutually Assured Destruction). If they had first strike:
1) our warning/surveillence systems would detect a launch immediately.

2) our more advanced guided missles have a better chance at destroying a nuclear warhead before it even reached US airspace

3) Our nuclear power and shared arsenal w/ other nuclear-allies is a deterrent to China using any non-conventional weapons.

China will emerge as a superpower, but not for another 30 years as their reforms are not enough to develop their society to the level of ours. China will have a civil war before they instigate a war with any western power.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:23 PM
mayonaise

Originally Posted by LT6916
i agree with you.

in their current military state, however, they are no comparison to the US:

China would have the advantage of an infantry ground assault, however the tactics of modern warfare call for air strikes and navy dominance. unlike the US, china does not have force-projection so any fighting will be done on Chinese soil or surrounding areas.

China doesn't have the state-of-the-art radar system that the US and most western states have. A B-2 Stealth bomber wouldn't even appear on their radar screens, thus giving us another advantage.

China has nuclear weapons, that's no surprise. however, all nuclear-power states agree on M.A.D. (Mutually Assured Destruction). If they had first strike:
1) our warning/surveillence systems would detect a launch immediately.

2) our more advanced guided missles have a better chance at destroying a nuclear warhead before it even reached US airspace

3) Our nuclear power and shared arsenal w/ other nuclear-allies is a deterrent to China using any non-conventional weapons.

China will emerge as a superpower, but not for another 30 years as their reforms are not enough to develop their society to the level of ours. China will have a civil war before they instigate a war with any western power.
you raise some good points. china's tactics are still behind ours, as is their military technology. and this is the perfect argument for why we shouldn't lift the arms embargo. but if europe marches ahead without the US on this matter, there's only so much we can do about it.

our missile defense system/grid/perimeter has thus far failed to shoot down any ballistic missiles in any of it's tests (correct me if i'm wrong here. but even if i am, it has still failed to do so consistently). leaving wide open the possibility of a nuclear attack, although you make excellent points on the possibiliy - or lack thereof - of china nuking anyone.

we shouldn't underestimate china and their rate of progression into the first world. they are surging forward at an alarming rate. global oil and steel prices are jumping because of china (not only because of china, but you get the idea), fueled by a bulging tech/industrial economy. every day we hear about things like outsourcing, jobs being lost to china, and even whole companies moving their centers of operation overseas. what major US company dosen't have some type of operation in china? IBM recently sold it's PC division to a chinese company. i give china ten years (or less), not thirty, to overtake the US economically.

socially, yes, they are decades away from the US. one of the reasons they are able to grow so rapidly is the governments' blatant disregard for human rights and freedom. but they've been doing it since the PRC was establshed, and no one has even tried to stop them (except for the current arms embargo, but what good has that done for human rights in china...?). is there any reason to think that anyone will? espcially as they grow more powerful by the day? the current arms embargo isn't enough - not nearly enough. lifting it entirely will only serve as a signal that the world is giving them free-reign to torture, brainwash, murder, and oppress it's people. china just wants to have it's way with everything, and so far, the international community just turns a blind eye.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:32 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

you aren't an international politics major, are you? because you are saying what i too have analyzed and learned in college. about the actors on the global scale.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:00 PM
mayonaise

Originally Posted by LT6916
you aren't an international politics major, are you? because you are saying what i too have analyzed and learned in college. about the actors on the global scale.
nope.. i've just always paid attention to that part of the world. my parents are from taiwan, and almost my entire extended family is there. so what china does can affect me whole a lot. i don't mind to see china become strong... but not the way they're doing it now