Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Gun peeps - advice needed

Old 02-06-2005, 11:40 AM
JGordon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gun peeps - advice needed (Now with pretty pictures!)

Edit -- see post #10 for the eventual pickup.

So I'm thinking about purchasing my first handgun. I've never owned a true firearm before. I've shot rifles and shotguns, but the closest I ever had to a handgun was a pellet gun for varmint hunting.

A local range here offers an NRA-approved day-long pistol training/safety course I plan on taking before ever firing a weapon. This gun will likely be used just for target shooting and the inevitable when-zombies-take-over-the-world scenario. I don't really plan on using it for home defense, but I would like it to have decent stopping power just in case. I was thinking something in a 9mm or .40.

So I need help finding a weapon to buy. I've heard good things about the H&K USP series and the Glock 17 & 22. Are these too much gun for a beginner? Should I get a .22 revolver until I'm comfortable, and then upgrade? I'd prefer to just purchase one handgun for life, but obviously safety is foremost. I certainly plan on checking out these weapons in person before I purchase to make sure they are comfortable, so give me some ideas on handguns to look at. Any help/advice is appreciated!
Old 02-06-2005, 11:41 AM
DakarM

ibjpsayshkusp
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:46 AM
antarius
Large Member

You will hear some people tell you to start with a .22, and others tell you to start with something else.

The key is to start with something you feel comfortable with.

My first handgun was a .40 and that was fine by me, but then again I was educated in the realm of firearms before I purchased it.

If I were you, and I went and took the NRA-approved day-long pistol training/safety course, I'd be willing to bet that you would be more than comfortable owning a 9, 40, or even larger as your first firearm.

Will and I spent a couple times at the range, and maybe an hour total time going over safety and how things work instruction, before he went and bought his first firearm; A Ruger P94 9mm, and it suits him just fine.

I highly recommend the HK, and I hate Glocks, but I'm biased -- and admittingly, both are great guns.

What I recommend is go take the course, then spend a couple bux at ranges renting different types of firearms (I recommend trying a Glock, Beretta, Sig, HK and Ruger) of all different caliburs (9, 45, 40 -- though I presume you'll end up with a 9 or 40) and decide what fits your hand what you are most comfortable with.

Then you get the neat decision of developing a cost base -- what you want to spend and how often you want to shoot.

For instance .22 ammunition is like $10 for 500 rounds; 9mm is like $12 for 100, and .40 is about $15 for 100. So ammunition gets more expensive as you stray from small to larger rounds -- but on the other hand, they're more capable and better rounds.

Like I said, first steps first. Take the course, and go spend a couple hours at various ranges trying multiple handguns and deciding what fits your hand best -- and then you can worry about what you want to spend and what suits your needs.

(My gut feel says you're going to end up with a Glock -- because they're relatively low cost, low maintenence, easy to shoot, and accurate -- but I'd choose an HK or SIG over the Glock anyday)
Old 02-06-2005, 11:46 AM
b00gers

If this is for target shooting, I say get a 9mm. The rounds are much cheaper than a .40 or .45. And it is not so small that it would not be good for home defense, like a .22 :reechy:. You can also stick some hollow points in the mag when it is at home. I started out shooting pistols, never once did I start with a revolver. So I say just start with the pistol if that is what you want to stick with.

As for the brand...how big is your wallet? h:
Old 02-06-2005, 11:52 AM
dubcac
I

My favorite handgun that I have shot was a Kimber .45.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:54 AM
antarius
Large Member

Originally Posted by Master Yodub
My favorite handgun that I have shot was a Kimber .45.
The last thing he needs to start with is a single action only 1911 .45

Hence why I didn't even mention it.

By far my favorite as well though.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:58 AM
dubcac
I

Originally Posted by antarius
The last thing he needs to start with is a single action only 1911 .45

Hence why I didn't even mention it.

By far my favorite as well though.

I wasn't saying for him to start off with it. h:

Old 02-06-2005, 12:17 PM
JGordon

Originally Posted by antarius
What I recommend is go take the course, then spend a couple bux at ranges renting different types of firearms (I recommend trying a Glock, Beretta, Sig, HK and Ruger) of all different caliburs (9, 45, 40 -- though I presume you'll end up with a 9 or 40) and decide what fits your hand what you are most comfortable with.
Hmmm... didn't know they would rent me firearms to try... sounds like a good plan! :thumbup:
Old 02-06-2005, 12:21 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by JGordon
Hmmm... didn't know they would rent me firearms to try... sounds like a good plan! :thumbup:

Good ranges have a nice selection. Some ranges have like 3-4 to choose from. And most that rent will require you to buy thier over priced ammo if you use their guns.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:06 PM
JGordon

So I finally bit the bullet and picked up a firearm, some 9 months after my original post. Sportsman's wearhouse was having a 6% off sale on all firearms and accessories. Picked up a Glock 22 (.40 caliber full-size), some rounds and ear & eye protection.

I looked at the H&K USP .40, and man that's a beautiful gun. I just couldn't justify spending the extra ~$250 on it. If I really enjoy shooting the Glock and want to upgrade in the future, that will definitely be on my short list.

I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
glock1.JPG (137.6 KB, 157 views)
glock2.JPG (123.5 KB, 39 views)
glock3.JPG (200.9 KB, 38 views)