Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

My website's been hacked

Old 02-04-2005, 05:02 PM
beier
A Philanthropical Fruit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My website's been hacked

For those of you who don't know, I'm into computers. In fact right now, I posting from my brothers old laptop which I recently converted into a webserver. Before I made this server, I rented space from another company, and started the website www.drastic-creations.com . It's nothing special, but it allowed my friend and to have a webserver, program in php, and make many websites. One of the seven (7) websites I made was about a sailboat. All the old people around the web that searched for Ghost13 would end up at my website, it's all over google and such.

Well recently, the guestbook on the that server has been hacked by some attention whore freakin idiot.

You see, the guestbook was filled with about 50 anecdotes, questions and advice from ghost13 owners all around the web. It was working really well untill some idiot came, hacked the server somehow, and deleted most of the posts. I'm not sure how he did it, but I'm not impressed. The javascript he left on the page dosn't even work and has a bunch of syntax errors.

Well, I'm making this post to complain, and start a hunt for those computer inclinded HAN members. It'll be fun

So, he made this post on the guestbook:
(http://ghost13.drastic-creations.com/ghostguest/)
Code:
(wierd image)
Hacked By McQeey

"DUR YOLCU!!! BİLMEDEN GELİP BASTIĞIN BU TOPRAK BİR DEVRİN BATTIĞI YERDİR !"
Yea, whatever, I don't even care what that yibberish means, he's stupid. So. The image file was this: http://www.mavideniz.org/isko/atam.gif

Seeing as it was a unique image, I went to the directory and looked around. Apparently this is his own server, with a website dedicated to silly things like hacking. In that directory, he has all sorts of screen-shot images of websites he's hacked in the past. It's somewhat impressive - or rather pitiful. For those who don't know, it dosn't take much to hack, but it takes some rare stupidity to throw around evidence like that.

After looking around that website, I decided to do a whois search about it. Returning the information:

Code:
Domain ID:D85796334-LROR
Domain Name:MAVIDENIZ.ORG
Created On:20-Apr-2002 14:00:03 UTC
Last Updated On:23-Mar-2004 05:32:37 UTC
Expiration Date:20-Apr-2005 14:00:03 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Melbourne IT, Ltd. dba Internet Names Worldwide (R52-LROR)
Registrant ID:10687298410550
Registrant Name:Finans
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street1:haciahmetcadd.mehmetefendi.sok. no.87beylerbeyi/istanbul
Registrant City:istanbul
Registrant State/Province:MARMARA
Registrant Postal Code:34545
Registrant Country:TR
Registrant Phone:+90.902122573000
Registrant Email:mavideniz@mavideniz.org
Admin ID:10687298413700
Admin Name:mehmetefendi kocabiyik
Admin Street1:haciahmetcadd.mehmetefendi.sok. no.87beylerbeyi/istanbul
Admin City:Canakkale
Admin State/Province:MARMARA
Admin Postal Code:34545
Admin Country:TR
Admin Phone:+90.902122573000
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:+90.902122573000
Admin Email:mavideniz@mavideniz.org
Tech ID:10687298420310
Tech Name:YahooDomains Techcontact
Tech Street1:701 First Ave.
Tech City:Sunnyvale
Tech State/Province:CA
Tech Postal Code:94089
Tech Country:US
Tech Phone:+1.6198813096
Tech Email:domain.tech@YAHOO-INC.COM
Name Server:NS8.SAN.YAHOO.COM
Name Server:NS9.SAN.YAHOO.COM

IP Address: 66.218.88.126  (ARIN & RIPE IP search)  
IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)-CALIFORNIA-SUNNYVALE  
Record Type: Domain Name  
Server Type: Apache 1  
Web Site Status: Active  
DMOZ  1 listings  
Y! Directory:  see listings  
Secure: No  
E-commerce: No  
Traffic Ranking: 2  
Data as of: 26-May-2004

So, now I have lots of interesting evidence on this guy. The city, phone, servername (yahoo - what an idiot), IP address, etc, etc all seem to be very helpful for a hunt for this guy. Not to mention the various IP address' logged by the guestbook and the server POST logs.

Well, now what do we do? I'm sure I could email him somehow and insult him, his family, and everything he stands for - but that might be a little low.

You see, I don't mind much about the guestbook. It's the fact that he was so obnoxious and arrogant about his hacking "ability", and the fact that he actually carried through and DELTED INFORMATION that gets me. I can do some hacking myself, but I chose not to pursue it and make a fool of myself.

What do you think? No sympathy please, just plans of attack.

ok fine not plans of attack, we shouldn't do anything drastic or mean really, just feekback would be nice

[/end-long-post-rant]
Old 02-04-2005, 05:05 PM
beier
A Philanthropical Fruit

Hmm now after looking around and blowing the dust off that old ghost13 site, it seems the guestbook has also changed colors. Maybe he's done more than just mess with posts
Old 02-04-2005, 05:10 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

unless your heavy into security (obvisouly not) I'd leave the security up to a webhost site that knows how to secure things and just make pretty webpages
Old 02-04-2005, 05:15 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

holy crap. that was easy to get into. check out the guest book now
Old 02-04-2005, 05:19 PM
beier
A Philanthropical Fruit

ahahhahha nice. If what you're refering to is simply posting, that's open to the public. What matters is that he got into the admin acount and deleted shit. The name and pass are probably pretty easy to guess. But I'll look into the server logs and see how he did it. brb
Old 02-04-2005, 05:20 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

I edited a post that was already there. I can set the admin name and password if I wanted to.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:22 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

on second look, this guestbook script was easy to get into... getting a professional host would only help if they didn't allow this software.

I'd look into getting something a bit more popular as far as software goes. PHPBB for example would be a lot more secure than that.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:23 PM
beier
A Philanthropical Fruit

Indeed you did edit a post! PM with how you got into the admin acount, if you please.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:30 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

google man.

you got a nice idea going there. just get some better software and hopefully the site does better.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:38 PM
beier
A Philanthropical Fruit

Wow. You are correct sir, well done. I had no clue that "advanced guestbook 2.2" was so vulnerable. thanks for showing me the easy exploit. Here's a funny quote from the explanation I was reading:

You'll get results that are extremely similar, in the titles and what not. Some pages are already defaced by 'Kuwaiti Hacker Gro00pz" or other lame groups that hack guestbooks to bitch and whine about the US.

^kinda silly. anyway, that was anti-climactic. Maybe I'll call him anyway and "bitch and whine" about how he sucks. Eh, whatever. Good day, all.