Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

The bias in media networks...

Old 01-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The bias in media networks...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story...402259,00.html

Very interesting article... I'm glad to see there's good journalism out there... too bad it seems to only be coming from the UK though h:
Old 01-31-2005, 11:54 AM
antarius
Large Member

Good article.

I watched Fox News and heard all that exact same information though.

From the good news, to the lack of voting in Tikrit, to the massive voting in Baghdad, to the minimal voting in the Sunni area's, etc.

*shrug*
Old 01-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by antarius
Good article.

I watched Fox News and heard all that exact same information though.

From the good news, to the lack of voting in Tikrit, to the massive voting in Baghdad, to the minimal voting in the Sunni area's, etc.

*shrug*
True, but excluding Al Jeezera, most of the networks presented a similar amount of news... but depending on how they played it up and what they decided to concentrate most upon is really what's important.

I'll admit though, sometimes I watch Fox News out of my personal commitment to get as many sides of the story I can take it... but as soon as I see Ann Coutler or Bill O' Rilley, I have to turn it off. Anyways, though, there is definately a different stance in how they choose to report certain information, and many times I've seen their newscasters be unnecessairily inflamitory to guests they don't agree with. Maybe just because of my inherent liberalness I see it this way (i.e. I percieve MSNBC as middle of the road and CNN as a little to the left of that), but also my roommate from college (Republican) referred to Fox News as "Entertainment dressed up like news that he sometimes agreed with", so I don't think I'm too alone
Old 01-31-2005, 01:59 PM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

Originally Posted by Epoch
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story...402259,00.html

Very interesting article... I'm glad to see there's good journalism out there... too bad it seems to only be coming from the UK though h:
I happen to like The Guardian, but I would hardly call that article "good journalism." Its a tiny slice of a few minutes of broadcasting that featured Ollie North, of all people. I don't think North is representative of Republicans at large. For one thing, most Republicans aren't criminals.

I also don't think that the picture presented by news channels while the elections were still in progress could possibly be complete. It doesn't bother me that it takes a couple of days to get the full story about something as complicated as Sunday's election.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by benjamin
I happen to like The Guardian, but I would hardly call that article "good journalism." Its a tiny slice of a few minutes of broadcasting that featured Ollie North, of all people. I don't think North is representative of Republicans at large. For one thing, most Republicans aren't criminals.

I also don't think that the picture presented by news channels while the elections were still in progress could possibly be complete. It doesn't bother me that it takes a couple of days to get the full story about something as complicated as Sunday's election.

Well, for me, it was more of a "Journalistic observation of popular journalism outlets on different sides of the fence", which I felt was the most interesting part.

And I hope most republicans aren't like North.... someone who would use money from illegal arms sales to terrorists to fund guerrella groups to overthrow other nations is quite integrity-free. Though, Ollie North _was_ associated with the modern republican's boldest "hero", but I wont dare delve into the contra scandals without some major history refreshing h:
Old 01-31-2005, 02:29 PM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

I wish i could care about the news as much as you people do....i use to be into the news but after a while you sorta get tired of reading about the same senseless things everyday....sometimes it even gets under ur skin...i know it use to for me....:dunno: Guess im just weird like that
Old 01-31-2005, 07:35 PM
kill_kill_kill
it's sarcastic dude

^ i feel you, news is ****ign depressing.,,,unlike pong!