Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Social Security fix-it think tank

Old 01-29-2005, 08:05 AM
Jessica
ch1x0r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't care how its fixed, as long as i get the money i put into it. but that probably won't happen.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:07 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

RothIRA 4 Lyfe!!~~!!~~`111
Old 01-29-2005, 08:20 AM
DakarM

Originally Posted by umop-apisdn
I don't pretend to know a shred about Social Security. My opinion is let everyone worry about their own retirement. SS will almost definately be done away with by the time it's "my turn". This is why I started my own IRA at 19. I will retire a millionaire thanks to compounding interest :bigok:

watch out for the tax (unless it's RothIRA)
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:22 AM
DakarM

Originally Posted by LT69Padawan6
RothIRA 4 Lyfe!!~~!!~~`111
:werd: homie.

My plan is 3 fold. 401K at work (I will continue when I find a permanent position), RothIRA with max contribution each year, and real estate.

The main funds for retirement will come from real estate. RothIRA will be my fun money and 401K will be extra cheese since it will be the smallest amount.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:07 AM
ED9man
driver

Originally Posted by HAN Frodo
i don't care how its fixed, as long as i get the money i put into it. but that probably won't happen.
:werd:
It would be nice if you just didn't pay, you got nothing when you retired.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
And did you know that thew almighty "conservative" concept of the government keeping its hands out of economic affairs is also part of the definition of liberal?

a person who favors an economic theory of laissez-faire and self-regulating markets

Amazing eh?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=liberal
Well, it's amusing because while even though trade liberalization has a very "liberal" definition and name, it's very rarely trumpeted by those godless americans called Democrats :chuckles: Trade liberalization, and the result of this being unregulated and free markets, causes massive financial stratification and erroding of local markets and economies in favor of the larger corporations who are able to deliver in bulk. The devastation of local markets and economies, plus the wealth concentration in the top 1% of corporate managers, is rather against the current "liberal" cause....

Of course, I think you knew all of this and you were just being facetious. This is more of an economic lesson for those who didn't know
Old 01-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
No, I'm a college kid making less than ten grand a year and I'm sick of paying hundreds of dollars into Social Security that I know I'll never get back.

And if I'm thinking like a "true conservative," then what does that make all these numbskulls (Bush included) that are trumpeting private accounts as the best thing since sliced bread?

Besides, I don't think I'm going outside the definition of liberal:

Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas;

Favoring proposals for reform,

And did you know that thew almighty "conservative" concept of the government keeping its hands out of economic affairs is also part of the definition of liberal?

a person who favors an economic theory of laissez-faire and self-regulating markets

Amazing eh?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=liberal
They're trumpeting private accounts because it's more likely to pass and is a step, granted a baby step, in the right direction. to most democrats, removing a social program altogether(wether it is working or not, more than likely not) is second only to very bad violation of a child.

my point with my original post is that you are generally the one trumpeting about how wealth distribution is such a grand idea. This is definately more on the conservative side than your usual rhetoric.

Last edited by DaKarMaul; 01-29-2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:50 AM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

i have no clue where my taxes goto im just being an american
Old 01-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by DaKarMaul
private accounts would actually make things worse.

social security isn't in that bad of a shape. small changes can save it and extended it indefinetly

there is a great article on the topic in business week (no link I have a subscription)

That's the problem though... rational economists are speaking, but the voices of those who are clamoring to make money over this whole thing are drowning them out h:

That's not to say I don't think things should be tweaked and fixed (Namely, return it to being entirely a social fund, and not another coffer for the gov't). In fact, every social program we have can use some work. I just happen to think that Privatization is the wrong course because it doesn't actually solve any problems for people who are making under 60K per year, and those are the people who need it most.

And yes, I'm a 22 year old, so it will be quite a while before I need to collect on any social security... and if all goes well by the time I'm elegable, I could turn all that SS money around and put it into charities. But currently I happily pay into it because I believe in supporting people who have worked their whole lives... It's the least we could do for those people...

And the funny thing is, if we repealed Bush's tax cuts, we wouldn't have this problem.... it's a self-made crisis....
Old 01-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Baget
All Show and No Go!

http://www.heritage.org/research/fea...ocialsecurity/

Now i didn't read much of this thread.. but i did read about how old people suck. And i just had a very interesting philosphy lecture on this sort of thing.

I can see both sides, medicine makes people live longer and it costs SOOO much more money in the long run omg. Anyone with a family member in ICU or even just in the hospital can attest to that.

But on the flip side they are americans and they paid their SS just like you and they have more than likely, not knowing your situation at all, have done alot more for this country than you have to date.

Very difficult question but having it be personal "ss accounts" is definately the wrong way to go. Uping the age a bit is a good idea and i think a better idea is to start having a mandatory class in HS about being fiscally responsible or something so many kids don't have a clue how to handle money any more and that just makes the problem worse IMO.

2 cents contributed.