Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Ebay Selling Questions

Old 01-28-2005, 05:22 AM
BonzoAPD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Selling Questions

I want to sell some stuff I have around the house on Ebay. I have a few questions.

1. Do I have to charge tax to someone who purchases from my state?
2. Do I have to declare what I make on EBAY to the IRS?
3. How do I figure out how much shipping is without actually taking it to the post office or UPS/DHL/FedEx first?

I am sure I will have more questions as well. Also if you have sold on Ebay and think there is anything else I should know, please post it as well as what the process is to get started selling. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:24 AM
Tark

Originally Posted by BonzoAPD
I want to sell some stuff I have around the house on Ebay. I have a few questions.

3. How do I figure out how much shipping is without actually taking it to the post office or UPS/DHL/FedEx first?

I am sure I will have more questions as well. Also if you have sold on Ebay and think there is anything else I should know, please post it as well as what the process is to get started selling. Thanks.
wouldnt you be able to get shipping quote online at the different courrier's(dont know how to sau this in english but i am sure you will understand) web site :dunno:
Old 01-28-2005, 07:45 AM
v8guy
Professor

No (unless you are a real business you have nothing to worry about)

Not unless you are a moron

eBay has a built in shipping calculator you can use. Also you can go to the post office's and any of the major carrier's websites and calculate shipping. Be sure to measure the box, oversize shipping charges can screw you. Always tack on a few bucks for handling & packing materials.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:51 AM
flyromeo3

1. I dont charge tax to anyone since im not a business. I just sell things that I dont need or want any more.
2. I dont declare what I make on eBay since the amount of money I make isnt worth claming on my taxes. I think if you make eBay like your business / primary income, then yes. ( I know there is a limit which i think is 10,000 ) Once you make more than that and still have a primary income, then you would add that as "other income".
3. I give estimates on shipping charges. Most couriers offer a shipping quote based on the dimensions and weight of the package.