Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Camera scam

Old 01-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camera scam

Read on Gisle's Blog

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/blog/index.php?p=18

"Just spotted a new incarnation of a webshop that since May has been scamming photographers by pretending to sell equipment at prices too good to be true. The new one is aptly known as NewCameraShop.com.

The scam is simple: Payment is by untraceable and unrecoverable methods such as MoneyGram or Western Union - no credit cards. You wire them your money, and they don’t send you anything. There is nobody you can sue. Their web site is registered in the name of some victim of identity theft, and their physical contact address is totally bogus.

Previous incarnations has used such names FineTronics, DigiBest, Sunlightics, CameraPot and AllDigitalDreams. They tend to like to pretend to operate from northern Europe (Oslo and Helsinki has been favourite locations in the past).

Note to fellow bloggers: Please help spread the word about this type of scam by blogging it - but don’t link to the scammers’ website. Linking to a website boosts its pagerank in Google and many other web search engines, which is not what we want. Mention their name, but don’t link."
Old 01-22-2005, 11:45 PM
azn_redneck
Live Free Or Die

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a bunch of sellers showing up on Amazon selling new Nikon D70's for ~$600, while most other places are closer to $900. They're always new sellers with no ratings yet. I wonder if those guys are scammers too?