Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Problem networking 2 computers

Old 01-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Dekz
Driver of "The Coug"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem networking 2 computers

Ok, I just bought a new computer, so I figured no problem, hook it up to my hub, transfer all my junk from the old one that way. Nope, not happening. Both computers have internet access, I put both computers in the same workgroup, and both computers have access to the internet, and both computers are running XP; But they just don't see each other.

Any ideas?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:35 PM
sids1045
dumber than a box of hair

Originally Posted by Dekz
Ok, I just bought a new computer, so I figured no problem, hook it up to my hub, transfer all my junk from the old one that way. Nope, not happening. Both computers have internet access, I put both computers in the same workgroup, and both computers have access to the internet, and both computers are running XP; But they just don't see each other.

Any ideas?
Did you enable file sharing on the drive you want to copy over?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Dekz
Driver of "The Coug"

I'm pretty sure that is still irrelevant at this point, but I will check when I get home. When I click on "view workgroup computers" the other computer doesn't show up. I should at least be able to see the comp and it's SharedDocs folder shouldnt I?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

First pull up a command line (start>run>cmd) and try to ping one machine from the other to make sure they can see them. On the other machine's command line type ipconfig to get the ip address from the other machine and then type ping <ipadress>. If that works, you can reach the other machine.

Share something on the other machine (the whole C drive if that's waht you need) and go to the other machine open my computer and go to my network places. If nothing shows up in there, open up the run box and in the Open: field type \\<name of computer>. Remember, those are backslashes, not forward slashes like you would use in a http://. It should pop up assuming it can find it.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:53 PM
DakarM

Originally Posted by Dekz
I'm pretty sure that is still irrelevant at this point, but I will check when I get home. When I click on "view workgroup computers" the other computer doesn't show up. I should at least be able to see the comp and it's SharedDocs folder shouldnt I?

you would be wrong.

share the drive and see what happens
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:53 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you wont see the computer unless you share something like a printer or drive, i dont think...
Old 01-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

type in "\\othercomputersname" in the run box
Old 01-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Dekz
Driver of "The Coug"

Ok, I'm pretty sure there is at least one folder on it that is set to be shared but I will double check when I get home. Thanks for all the replies, but I will be back if it doesn't work