Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Computer dudes....need some assistance please

Old 01-12-2005, 08:22 PM
jlammy
w00t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer dudes....need some assistance please

OK. I have to do some research on this project and I know some of you HAN'ers out there would know the answer to this. I will continue my search, but I don't think it hurts to ask.

One of the departments at our company requested for dual flat panels on their computers. They current have Dell GX270's with a single VGA output video card built-in. Their new flat panels have VGA and DVI connections.

The VP wants them to be able to use one PC but have different desktop displays on each monitor. The justification for this is that they need to run multiple applications that only runs in full screen mode and they want to be able to look at both at the same time.

I am not very familiar with dual monitor setups and would like to know what type of hardware and/or software I will need and/or if this is even possible. This is for work so it has to be legit software if you are going to recommend a particular program. Thanks much in advance.

Team B.O.B.™ - Ballaz on a Budget

R.I.P Huan Vo 11-19-2008
Old 01-12-2005, 09:11 PM
lgbr
Wal-Mart Shopper

You can add different monitors to a video card, and I believe your only limit is the number of plug in slots that are on the video card.

In windows it is very easy to set this up without any extra software, try looking in help and support about this. As far as hardware goes, look into Matrox cards, they specialize in multiple monitor set ups for businesses. I've done this with ATI and nVidia cards though, where one desktop would be going through vga and the other through the tv-out.

Good luck with it.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:28 PM
DakarM

best solution is to get a new video card with vga and dvi. just about all the newer cards have it. the cheapy nvidia 5200 i'm using has dual head and you can put different desktop wall paper on each as long as you use nvidia software.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:34 PM
jlammy
w00t

Originally Posted by DaKarMaul
best solution is to get a new video card with vga and dvi. just about all the newer cards have it. the cheapy nvidia 5200 i'm using has dual head and you can put different desktop wall paper on each as long as you use nvidia software.
Yeah. I know we have to get a secondary video card, but now that you mentioned it I remember seeing that option for Nvidia cards where you can have multiple desktops using 1 PC with 1 monitor hooked up to VGA and the other to DVI.

Which card would you recommend Rickster?

R.I.P Huan Vo 11-19-2008
Old 01-12-2005, 09:36 PM
DakarM

Originally Posted by jlammy
Yeah. I know we have to get a secondary video card, but now that you mentioned it I remember seeing that option for Nvidia cards where you can have multiple desktops using 1 PC with 1 monitor hooked up to VGA and the other to DVI.

Which card would you recommend Rickster?

a good cheap card that I use (have 3 versions now :chuckles: ) is the Nvidia 5200.

I have 2 in AGP and 1 PCI. They all appear to be about the same and work the same way.

I would go with MSIs version, it's usually $60-80bucks.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:43 PM
jlammy
w00t

cool....thanks

R.I.P Huan Vo 11-19-2008