Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

DC, NoVA and Baltimore area peeps: no more WHFS!

Old 01-12-2005, 09:30 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DC, NoVA and Baltimore area peeps: no more WHFS!

Apparently, the once-mighty bastion of alternative music and source of amusement galore with the HFStival concerts will cease to exist today. As of noon today it is now "El Zol 99.1 - Siempre De Fiesta."

This is kinda sad. WHFS was never a big station until the early 90s when grunge took "alternative" music mainstream. Then the big rock station in town, DC 101 and 98 Rock, were playing the same stuff as HFS.

But now...rock and roll, and especially of the "alternative" variety, is dead. All that's left of alternative is like, a bunch of whiney whiteboys crying about how they're sad because their girlfriend left them, some poppy punkish bands with numbers in their names, christian rock (soooo not alternative) and "metal" bands that don't really sound like much of anything that resembles music, and certainly not their idols like Black Sabbath/Ozzy and Metallica.

So the rock stations will continue playing whatever mainstream guitar based music there is at the moment, and HFS is going Spanish language. Oh well. This is almost as much of a blow as when I was in like 3rd thru 5th grade when the two big pop stations, WAVA and Q-107, went Christian and adult contemporary, respectively, within a couple of years of each other. h:
Old 01-12-2005, 09:32 AM
ADRteg

that sucks!!!!

i've been to about 6 hfstivals. in 1996 i went, it was my first concert evar! (i was 12)

but come to think of it, i hardly listen to that station now, seeing as i'm mostly in richmond..
Old 01-12-2005, 09:34 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

yay. another messican station.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:35 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

i hate it when that happens.

a popular station here lost their frequency number when the owner filed for bankruptcy. on a bright note, the last 24 hours on air were filled with f and s words and random music. 2 Live Crew, Whitesnake, Another Bad Creation, Wham, Dr Dre ... you name it. :chuckles:

now its all mexican techno ..
Old 01-12-2005, 09:36 AM
BonzoAPD

you're lucky your station lasted that long. In the 19997-1998 time frame all of the alternative rock stations were shut down here :sad:
Old 01-12-2005, 09:38 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by BonzoAPD
you're lucky your station lasted that long. In the 19997-1998 time frame all of the alternative rock stations were shut down here :sad:
Those stations probably popped up when the grunge fad first broke and then when it fizzled out some they ditched the format.

WHFS had been around in one form or another with the "alternative" format since like the 60s. Just that when grunge broke, suddenly people realized that the newly popular music was being played on this station which they'd been seeing stickers all over their high school of.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:39 AM
ADRteg

heh, i wish i could have listened to the last hours of the station..

here in richmond we have two great rock/alternative stations. it's nice
Old 01-12-2005, 09:56 AM
HappySnatch
OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no more sports junkies
Old 01-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

There's a reason I listen almost exclusively to university radio. All of the good radio stations have died or gone corporate
Old 01-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Mac O

My wife is working seasonally at Circuit City and just hooked us up with a Delphi MyFi portable XM radio. Normally I guess it's around $300, but she got the unit for $8 during a promo. I had my doubts, but I can't believe how much better it is than "regular" radio. $10 a month is nothing for good music.