Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

To the people who made fun of us Cali people for freaking about the rain...

Old 01-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Epoch
Actually, most of the trouble here is from recent fires up north, and bad drainage systems to the south... but yeah, I do agree about the blind development that has plauged beachfront areas recently. We need to think before we build, but since so many developers seem hellbent (no pun intended) on making the biggest profit imaginable without fully taking in the consequences, more protection of our coastal and sensitive lands may be needed...
But part of that is because they are handing out building permits like candy but not doing the research to make sure it is solid ground before doing this. If they reinforced the ground structure on the hillsides they could slow the progression of the mudslides a bit, but never will be able to eliminate them all together.

In its current state there is nearly no way to keep it from happening without massive reconstruction of the oceanside highway system. Since this is not going to happen any time soon then people are just going to have to deal with the consequences of the overpopulating of the area as well as the consequences of adapting the environment to their needs rather than adapting to their environment as it exists.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lil_1_2002
How far is that? I"m heading out to ventura tomorrow!! whats the perdiction mr. epoch will i make it or not?

no
Old 01-10-2005, 12:34 PM
joebenz
nelson rules

Originally Posted by DC2
I don't mind driving in the rain, but I do mind the drivers around me.
:werd: my thoughts exactly
Old 01-10-2005, 12:52 PM
lil_1_2002

Originally Posted by Epoch
no

dammmit....so there is no way ? hrm there must bee! i'll find it. ....
Old 01-10-2005, 01:02 PM
dubcac
I

Originally Posted by Nightshade
I grew up in Cali....it is far from my favorite state.
I know, I was being sarcastic.

Originally Posted by Tobra
The problem in California is that they have neglected the infrastructure for 50 years and are surprised when somethng happens because the money they were supposed to spend on flood control or road repairs got spent on other things, like a study to determine the emotional state of the swallows when they return to Capistrano. Developers come into an area that would be a poor choice for housing, perhaps better suited for growing rice, build there, make lots of money and then leave the headaches to the cities to solve. Decades of uncontrolled growth, that is the problem here. What does growth have to do with flooding you might ask. Riddle me this, where will water run off more quickly, on asphalt or a wooded area? I am sorry, but 2.5 inches of rain in a day is not really that much. I have personally seen 10(ten) times that much in a 12 hour period. Sure, Houston was closed down for a week, but you did not here them cry about it like now.
Just so you know, many places got a lot more than 2.5" of rain. One day LA got 8" of rain alone, and the mountain/desert areas got 16" in one day. That coupled with burned areas that cannot hold water creates flooding like we are seeing.

Originally Posted by DaKarMaul
in some parts they got 24inches in a few hrs. that's substantial.
:werd:
Old 01-10-2005, 01:11 PM
strychnine
i am legend

i saw a million+ dollar house in a sinkhole on the news a minute ago. that's a lot of rain
Old 01-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by lil_1_2002
dammmit....so there is no way ? hrm there must bee! i'll find it. ....

Drive north to Santa Maria, hop on the 5, drive south, cross back across to the 101 around Ojai, and pray the freeway isn't raped there too :happysad:
Old 01-10-2005, 01:15 PM
jlammy
w00t

Well, most of these problems are in the LA area....I think they got a bit smarter when it came to OC....in any case....there is a lot of rain....and I don't mind the rain...I just hate it how people don't know how to drive in the rain and get all freaked out.

Nightshade....common dude....you don't like CA? I like Portland Honestly, I love it in Portland.

Team B.O.B.™ - Ballaz on a Budget

R.I.P Huan Vo 11-19-2008
Old 01-10-2005, 01:21 PM
dom93hatch
more meat, more fire

I was gonna reply with something witty but my interweb crashed when I pressed the submit button. Now I'm too lazy.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:22 PM
95SiR
hood rich

i still rather live here in socal than anywhere else.