Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

To the people who made fun of us Cali people for freaking about the rain...

Old 01-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Tinker Bell
mexikin who?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oH snap!!! it started pouring outside just now :nervous:
Old 01-10-2005, 11:50 AM
AP2
Moderator Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mind driving in the rain, but I do mind the drivers around me.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally Posted by Master Yodub

We all know Cali is your favorite state.
I grew up in Cali....it is far from my favorite state.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by Tinker Bell
is that the 101 or 126 or whatever that freeway is that goes to SB??

Yep... basically, all ways to SB from the south are out, and places to the north are starting to go out too
Old 01-10-2005, 12:12 PM
BonzoAPD

Cali is gonna sink. I better get my land in AZ before the prices skyrocket when AZ has beachfront property :fawk:
Old 01-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Tobra

The problem in California is that they have neglected the infrastructure for 50 years and are surprised when somethng happens because the money they were supposed to spend on flood control or road repairs got spent on other things, like a study to determine the emotional state of the swallows when they return to Capistrano. Developers come into an area that would be a poor choice for housing, perhaps better suited for growing rice, build there, make lots of money and then leave the headaches to the cities to solve. Decades of uncontrolled growth, that is the problem here. What does growth have to do with flooding you might ask. Riddle me this, where will water run off more quickly, on asphalt or a wooded area? I am sorry, but 2.5 inches of rain in a day is not really that much. I have personally seen 10(ten) times that much in a 12 hour period. Sure, Houston was closed down for a week, but you did not here them cry about it like now.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally Posted by Tobra
The problem in California is that they have neglected the infrastructure for 50 years and are surprised when somethng happens because the money they were supposed to spend on flood control or road repairs got spent on other things, like a study to determine the emotional state of the swallows when they return to Capistrano. Developers come into an area that would be a poor choice for housing, perhaps better suited for growing rice, build there, make lots of money and then leave the headaches to the cities to solve. Decades of uncontrolled growth, that is the problem here. What does growth have to do with flooding you might ask. Riddle me this, where will water run off more quickly, on asphalt or a wooded area? I am sorry, but 2.5 inches of rain in a day is not really that much. I have personally seen 10(ten) times that much in a 12 hour period. Sure, Houston was closed down for a week, but you did not here them cry about it like now.
:chuckles:

My thoughts exactly.

You can only neglect the land and build on unsturdy ground for so long, then mother nature is gonna kick your ass for doing it.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by Tobra

Actually, most of the trouble here is from recent fires up north, and bad drainage systems to the south... but yeah, I do agree about the blind development that has plauged beachfront areas recently. We need to think before we build, but since so many developers seem hellbent (no pun intended) on making the biggest profit imaginable without fully taking in the consequences, more protection of our coastal and sensitive lands may be needed...
Old 01-10-2005, 12:21 PM
DakarM

in some parts they got 24inches in a few hrs. that's substantial.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:24 PM
lil_1_2002

Originally Posted by Epoch
Yep... basically, all ways to SB from the south are out, and places to the north are starting to go out too

How far is that? I"m heading out to ventura tomorrow!! whats the perdiction mr. epoch will i make it or not?