Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.
View Poll Results: which is worse
repost
43.75%
thread revival
25.00%
equally suck
31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

which is worse?

Old 01-08-2005, 04:59 PM
strychnine
i am legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which is worse?

There's kind of a contradictory thing going on around here. The search button is always recommended, but when someone searches and brings back an old topic it's considered distasteful. Yet, if someone brings up something that's already been covered the repost smiley shows up quickly. So, which is worse/more annoying?

-edit, any solutions?
Old 01-08-2005, 05:03 PM
DakarM

this thread is worse
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:05 PM
strychnine
i am legend

i'm just curious, if it's that bad do with it what you will.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:43 PM
MPerson

Thread revival sucks and so do reposts. Searching is there to learn something that has already been discussed. If a discussion is revived, oh well, I don't care. But there are threads that you could have searched for and answered your question without having to REPLY to it.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:58 PM
2gr84u
2gr84u

Originally Posted by MPerson
Thread revival sucks and so do reposts. Searching is there to learn something that has already been discussed. If a discussion is revived, oh well, I don't care. But there are threads that you could have searched for and answered your question without having to REPLY to it.
:werd: my vote goes to they equally suck. I hate when they bring back post that have absolute no value what so ever
Old 01-08-2005, 08:10 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Reposts...

I'm the type that doesn't like doing things I'm totally unsure about without someones advice. Sure people ask stupid questions, and we can tell them to search, but it's people that are brand new that ask things like - CAI or SRI - so do we give them the impression that we are all a bunch of rude asses and say SEARCH YOU FAG or do we give them a link and tell them where to find info. That the site keeps all the old posts and they can be used as a huge source of knowledge.
Let's face it. People don't read the rules before they accept them and they don't know these things, so let em know one way or another,make your own choice on how, but what comes around goes around.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:54 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

Originally Posted by MPerson
Exactly.

I've started ignoring posts that contain subject matter which has been discussed ad nauseum, and there is nothing new to add. Having too many threads on the exact same issue only bogs down things when someone DOES want to search in the future. They have to weed through all of the identical threads. Say, "Go search all the threads, and if your question isn't answered, or it doesn't apply to your situation, then come back and ask."

I don't think that old thread revival is necessarily a bad thing if new info. surfaces on a subject, or if it is a continuation of a conversation that is still relevant. An example of an old thread to leave alone would be:
"Dudes, my car is not starting tonight. Should I get a battery or take a bus?"
Obviously he won't needing help beyond a day or so.

An old thread that is relevant:
"Does anyone know where I can find lowering struts for a 7th gen. Accord?"
"No."

*6 months later*
"I found some struts at..."

Example 2:
"Remember the pics I posted of the turbo I was installing? Well here's the finished car, and it screams!

That's how I see it anyway...
Old 01-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Rezza
Tell your mom I said hi!

:repost: suck > TR
Old 01-09-2005, 02:55 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

I dislike thread revival more. Repots aren't all that bad especially if it pertains to funny "stuff n' shit." Cause some may not have seen it before. But pertaining to reposts about questions etc, yeah thats what the search is there fo' sho'
Old 01-09-2005, 03:03 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

i think both equally suck but if the person has a good reason to revive or repost it (or have the same overall problem but different minor problems) then i guess its okay.

searching is best but it does take a lot of time.