Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Automakers Working on Car-to-Car Ad-Hoc Networks

Old 12-21-2004, 11:53 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automakers Working on Car-to-Car Ad-Hoc Networks

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...id=193&tid=126

"The Register is reporting that BMW, Audi, Daimler Chrysler, Volkswagen, Renault and Fiat are working with a German government grant to help develop a standard method for car-to-car wireless networking dubbed 'NOW' (Network On Wheels). NOW is based on 802.11 and IPv6 to allow inter-vehicle communication based on ad-hoc networking to share traffic information. With routing capabilities, the hope is the vehicles will be able to warn each other - and the drivers - about bad weather, accidents and road problems. A prototype is expected by mid-2005 with field trials to start late Q1 2006."

This idea sounds very cool. I've always wanted to be able to remotely turn off all VW's while in the middle of highway speed traveling. :chuckles:

Jesting asside... this sounds like a nice idea. Real time traffic and weather updates from other cars that are on the same road as you, instead of some fat weather guy in a nice warm studio, is very appealing.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:41 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

For years I have wanted some kind of intercom where I could yell at the idiots sharing the road with me to get out of the way, turn on their headlights, or fix whatever other stupid thing it was they were doing at the time. Perhaps now it will become a reality!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:06 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

:chuckles: that would be nice.

Or how about some kind of rating system? You can rate people on a 1-5, if they have a low rating you get a warning as you get near them.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:29 PM
iNteGraz92
forever lurking

traffic warning system eh? they should just contact honda/acura :reechy: