Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Ebay Scammers

Old 12-15-2004, 08:03 PM
kmanscam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Scammers

I've seen too many car scams in forums and on ebay that I've decided to take action. Please READ.

I've actually seen a guy steal pictures out of the members rides section of 7thgencivic and then post the car for sale on ebay.

SO, I thought I would post up the site that a buddy of mine has been working on with me. We're hoping that car clubs, or whatever will post up some scams they find in the forums to help people out. We ended up catching 3 cars illegally being sold on ebay the week after the civic one. So we decided to start up a forum where they could try to trace them down.

www.scamboards.com

The site really can't be found right now in search engines, but we're planning on getting the site "live" in like a week.

There is still a lot more that has to be added, but I'd love for people to check it out and be so kind as to register. Hopefully if the number or people grows some, we can really put a dent in the scum on ebay.

That's really what we're hoping for here.

AND... my final request. If you find or hear of any shady stuff going down on ebay.... POST IT or let me know. We want to let people to know that there is a lot of bad stuff going down on ebay as well as the internet in general

Just Register, and Notify the board if anything crazy would shop up. We'll take it from there and try to remove them from ebay and whatnot.

I appreciate it a lot.

If you belong to any other car threads or forums, please spread the word. I've seen 2 car problems within the last month on other car forums. So I know it's all over the place.

If the people who run this site would want to put a sticky somewhere or something about scamboards, It might help? I'm just not sure what they think about it.

I'd apprecaite any feedback or remarks.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:04 PM
Jessica
ch1x0r

hhmmm, i can't figure out if this will get locked or not.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:13 PM
dE.fUsEd
I still like honda's. :-/

^ :eh: why would it?

pretty cool idea, prolly won't catch on though.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:13 PM
kmanscam

why is this going to be locked? My buddy has his car jacked?

it's not like the site is making money. It's totally on my back. I pay for all of the hosting bills etc. I get nada back. There is no paid advertising or anything besides google adsense..... if this site wants my 4 cents back from it, go for it.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:17 PM
kmanscam

Originally Posted by dE.fUsEd
pretty cool idea, prolly won't catch on though.
You don't think people will post on it... or what? I need this kind of feedback. So far we've had like 12,000 unique views in the last 2 weeks. Obviously we are brand new, but we're trying to spread the word.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:23 PM
dE.fUsEd
I still like honda's. :-/

i would suggest (don't know how you have phpbb configured), but you should set the forum permissions to "Public", that way people won't have to register to post on there. You would probably have better chances of people leaving info.

12,000 unique views is damn good for 2 weeks. if you can get the site in top searches on google and yahoo, you could bring a lot of hits.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:29 PM
kmanscam

(don't know how you have phpbb configured), but you should set the forum permissions to "Public", that way people won't have to register to post on there.

The 2 guys that worked on setting the site up thought about how to make people register or not. The problem we kept coming up with was, if the site did get big, how would people be able to find their post. They wouldn't be notified if someone was able to shut down the ebay auction, or help them. People obviously can post problems, like ebay ID theft, etc.

If they register, they can get an instant email notice back from us. If they don't, they would have to figure out a way to sort through the site. It was an issue we fought over to begin with. For right now, we're making people register. But obviously it doesn't cost anything.

12,000 unique views is damn good for 2 weeks. if you can get the site in top searches on google and yahoo, you could bring a lot of hits.
Yah, we have been pretty happy so far with the turnout of views. People obviously are interested in the site, and the average # of pages clicked per visit is at 19 pages right now.

So people are reading the info.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:43 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

anything to help prevent the amount of scamming.

so do you send out like a "hit" team to take out these scammers if you find out where they live :chuckles:
Old 12-15-2004, 08:53 PM
kmanscam

Originally Posted by wedley2
anything to help prevent the amount of scamming.

so do you send out like a "hit" team to take out these scammers if you find out where they live :chuckles:
I am the "hit team" =) - no in reality I worked with the FBI in Washington DC and the one in Pittsburgh on the last scam. I deal with each one depending on the situation. I am just a regular guy, so I didn't have the power to shut down an AOL user acct. The FBI dealt with AOL on the last problem we came across. Yahoo hosting has worked with me in shutting sites down, along with other hosting companies. Anyone can deal with Ebay basically. You just have to get used to a lot of Elevator Music.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:03 PM
kmanscam

also... does anyone belong to other car forums?

I'm trying to get a list of other forums that I might be able to post scamboards on. Any help in this area would be great.