Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

How fast is a stock GSR? vs. Other VTECS?

Old 12-02-2004, 05:14 PM
OilCanBoyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast is a stock GSR? vs. Other VTECS?

I have been a GSR owner for a while now. I enjoy the car very much and it feels fairly quick to me. Not incredibly fast but quick. I have noticed in order to get the thing to move I have to keep the RPMS up.

I was wondering how does this car stack up to some of the other VTEC vehicles Honda has or is now producing? This is the first honda car I have ever owned.

For example the newer 2 door honda civic coupe I see with V6s. Or Preludes with VTEC. Or the Civic SI. How does a stock GSR hold up to stock versions of these cars. Where does this car fit in in terms of fast Hondas? I'm not talking about the NSX or S2000. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2004, 05:23 PM
MahoneyL80
I want 2 B cool like u!

....theres a v-6 civic?

from what ive learned over the years from being a honda fan. more people do swaps with the engine that you have then most other cars..meaning that your engine is good for good numbers when modified right..secondly, its not a v-8...no stock 4cyl car will ever "Feel" as fast as a v-8...but with the right mods it can be faster than most v-8s with mods...third...thats the reason most people like acura/hondas is because you can launch at higher rpms and because u can drive them at much higher rpms...GSR is a nice car...and vtec doesnt make a great difference..compared to the other cars honda makes...your stock gsr > any stock civic and against preludes im not sure ive never driven or paid much attention to them so someone else should answer this
Old 12-02-2004, 05:30 PM
MahoneyL80
I want 2 B cool like u!

also go here for breakdown on the integras themselves might help you out some http://www.team-integra.net/sections...p?ArticleID=43
Old 12-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

there is no v6 civic :eh:
Old 12-02-2004, 09:31 PM
HaHAAHhAHHAH
Banned

what year is your GSR? GSR's will pretty much **** up any civic out there, even modded (unless it's boosted), and as for ludes im not sure...but the 92-96 ludes you should be able to outrun pretty easily..yeah, integra's are tha shit
Old 12-02-2004, 10:08 PM
integravtec96

my 96 GSR will keep up or beat any honda out there...even the preludes and newer SI's are nothing..the only honda's out there that mine won't hold up against are the RSX Type S, Teg Type R, S2000 and NSX's..but since ur excluding the S2000 and NSX..there r only two other hondas that are faster stock than a GSR..not too sure bout the newer Acura models tho, like the TSX, TL and RL..and by the way, all i have on my GSR is intake and exhaust.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:34 AM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

well for comparision the new TL will rape you GSR
and of course with the AWD RL coming with 270 hp it will also
im pretty sure the AV6 6-so is also faster and 4th/5th gen ludes 5-spd it's mostly a driver's race
even the old 3.2cl-s MT will give you a run for your money
but a GS-R has got one of the biggest aftermarket support out there
so you can always buy some parts and make you car faster
but you should run 15.2-15.5 1/4 stock
so that's not bad at all
Old 12-03-2004, 07:34 AM
tonto0808

its simple; you have more torque and hp than all the civics, i believe an si until 2002 only had around 160, you have 170hp and i believe 128tq. preludes have more tq approx. 150 and 195hp, but it outways your car. the old body style cl has 150hp and 152tq in the 4cl, but weighs over 3,000lbs. my family has all these cars, civic, cl, integra, and had a prelude for a while (97). as others stated mine is the quickest(integra). the civic is no contest, the prelude and cl are close, but just too heavy. the cl has few mods available. i loved the prelude, it was a handling dream, but a little sluggish. my integra has the best of all worlds handling, tq, and hp. the high rpms you experience is where your peak power band is, you need a little midrange power. the ls integras even had like 2-3 less lbs of tq and 30 less hp than gsr, but they run well because their power band with no vtech is around 1,000 rpm less give or take a few. one other 4cl that was a quick set up was the del sol. the car is super light and with the top model had 160hp with i think maybe approx. 117 tq. it was a 5spd screamer on rails. the old crx was that way too. just remember that you want a good power to weight ratio which you have, get some low-mid range help and keep your gsr. i know the headers on the gsr are pretty limiting(restricting) especially compared to a type R or aftermarket, but replace those and a few other mods and enjoy the high rev sound you can get with those rpms. i know most who have a civic want an integra, and if they have a lude it is because they enjoy more of a "performance cruise" and are their own kind of breed
Old 12-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Unlimitation
Destiny SeekerZ

[QUOTE=MahoneyL80GSR is a nice car...and vtec doesnt make a great difference..compared to the other cars honda makes[/QUOTE]

Hey this bring me to the curiosity. Does the GSR VTEC differ from any newer VTEC?

I really want to know now. How much diiferent is the newer VTEC compare to older ones?
Old 12-03-2004, 08:44 AM
tonto0808

some new engines have the i-vtech, but are only found on cars like the rsx, the technology is pretty much very similar one difference i know they made was to add a little more midrange to the new vtech. the new civic vtechs aren't i vetch which stands for intelli, but the civics are still sohc, compared to your gsr which is a dohc vtech. you won't notice much difference unless you get an rsx with i vtech, and it is still very minimal like i said earlier you'll notice the vtech kick in better in the midrange, other than that don't sweat it, you still have prob the best set up to start with, possibly only comparable to a new rsx which in my eyes isn't worth the price all the way from insurance to buying price, and youll still have to hit high rpms to get your power. if you don't like having to raise your rpms get rid of vtech, you'll never be happy, thats what vtechs purpose is, to adjust the lift at rpms for optimal power, quicker change in lift=more power, quicker change is aquired through quicker or higher rpms