Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Wireless router question :(

Old 11-30-2004, 10:45 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wireless router question :(

At my bro's house, theres a really old desktop (windows 98) and a really old laptop (windows me). The desktop doesn't have an ethernet port, so it is hooked up the the modem via usb. The laptop has a wireless pci card in it, and we tried to get it to work last night, to no avail.

The cable modem is connected to the desktop computer via usb and the router via the ethernet port. Is this going to work at all, or did we not set it up correctly? The router and pci card are linksys 'b' btw.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:50 AM
strychnine
i am legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, it's either usb or ethernet, you can't use both at one time
Old 11-30-2004, 10:50 AM
BonzoAPD

Originally Posted by brtecson
At my bro's house, theres a really old desktop (windows 98) and a really old laptop (windows me). The desktop doesn't have an ethernet port, so it is hooked up the the modem via usb. The laptop has a wireless pci card in it, and we tried to get it to work last night, to no avail.

The cable modem is connected to the desktop computer via usb and the router via the ethernet port. Is this going to work at all, or did we not set it up correctly? The router and pci card are linksys 'b' btw.

The modem should be directly connected to the router. I don't think you can back end the router like that.

Linksis does sell a wireless USB connector for desktops without ethernet cards but have USB ports. Try that. It works well on my gf's comp.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:55 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Yep.

Wire out of the wall into the cable modem. Then cable modem into the wireless router. You can hard wire (using an ethernet cable) from the wireless router to your computer.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:57 AM
BonzoAPD

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Yep.

Wire out of the wall into the cable modem. Then cable modem into the wireless router. You can hard wire (using an ethernet cable) from the wireless router to your computer.
The desktop doesn't have an ethernet port as he stated in the original post. My solution of the wireless USB connector will work though.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:58 AM
strychnine
i am legend

you can get one of those off ebay for like 10 bucks or less, i got one for my ps2 for 5 but it didnt work for it
Old 11-30-2004, 10:59 AM
BonzoAPD

Originally Posted by Booba Fettish
you can get one of those off ebay for like 10 bucks or less, i got one for my ps2 for 5 but it didnt work for it

Linksys makes one and it does work. It costs around $30.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:01 AM
strychnine
i am legend

Originally Posted by BonzoAPD
Linksys makes one and it does work. It costs around $30.
the one i have is linksys, but it's the wrong model for ps2 works fine for a pc though