Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

College deciding.....

Old 11-28-2004, 06:03 AM
spykes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default College deciding.....

Cars always interested me, always been a hands on person with DIY skills. Everything i own from electronics to a fish tank was made by me. But then i never messed with a car until i currently gotten one of my own. Im a computer technican currently. Computer science major sux nowadays too many of us. i am currently enrolled at a 4 year college and thinking about transfering to a vocational school being in the automotive field also.
im in NY - so i was thinking about Lincoln tech or some other one. anyone got any comments?
Old 11-28-2004, 06:13 AM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

I'd go to some community colleges and see if they offer auto tech first. I believe there is a SUNY school that also offers a bachelors in the field. I would do this so that if you decide you don't like it, you can easily take other courses and it's not a ton of money down the drain.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:38 AM
Jessica
ch1x0r

i had a friend who went to lincoln tech, and apparantly it was a bad experience. check aroun for higher rated community colleges in you area.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:49 AM
strychnine
i am legend

I was an IS major, I'm going into race car prep next semester. I just couldn't see myself working with computers for the rest of my life, indirectly or not, so I switched. To me, it'll be worth the lower pay, you should figure out if you're sure it's right for you.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:53 AM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

Morrisville State College offers 2 year and 4 year programs in auto tech.

These are also two year programs:
Canton, College of Technology
Columbia-Greene Community College
Erie Community College (South)
Fulton-Montgomery Community College
Morrisville State College
Onondaga Community College

This one offers auto tech (toyota):
Columbia-Greene Community College

auto tech chrysler:
Hudson Valley Community College

auto tech GM:

auto mechanics (AAS):
Delhi, College of Technology at

auto mechics (AOS):
Delhi, College of Technology at

Columbia-Greene Community College offers a 1 year certification course.

www.suny.edu for contact information. I would call up a few of the schools and see what they say, even if you don't plan on necessarily going there.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:12 AM
MahoneyL80
I want 2 B cool like u!

depends on what kind of cars you want to work on all your life too...your not going to get very far working on domestics...or even japanese cars...from what i hear if you can get into the exotics they make major bucks as auto techs..but the places to work for them are usually far and few in between if you search around on the internet you could possibly find some sort of specialty school for auto techs or even if there is a major university near u go in there and talk to a counselor they usually have a huge list of decent specialty schools for stuff like that
Old 11-28-2004, 11:40 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right now I'm wishing I'd spent my education paying less for a more practical field. If its what you really want to do, go for it.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:43 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Originally Posted by MahoneyL80
depends on what kind of cars you want to work on all your life too...your not going to get very far working on domestics...or even japanese cars...from what i hear if you can get into the exotics they make major bucks as auto techs..but the places to work for them are usually far and few in between if you search around on the internet you could possibly find some sort of specialty school for auto techs or even if there is a major university near u go in there and talk to a counselor they usually have a huge list of decent specialty schools for stuff like that
the techs at the dealership I used to work at (subaru/acura/hyundai) made around $50k/yr, which is pretty good for CO.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:51 AM
MahoneyL80
I want 2 B cool like u!

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
the techs at the dealership I used to work at (subaru/acura/hyundai) made around $50k/yr, which is pretty good for CO.
yeah thats the same around here..but from what ive heard thats about the limit..compared to like a rolls royce/bently/ferrari/masarati place where you can make upwards of 150,000 a year...and i would assume their benifets are a lot better to
Old 11-28-2004, 11:59 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Originally Posted by MahoneyL80
yeah thats the same around here..but from what ive heard thats about the limit..compared to like a rolls royce/bently/ferrari/masarati place where you can make upwards of 150,000 a year...and i would assume their benifets are a lot better to
I don't think there are enough of those marques to have enough business in this whole state. Maybe in NY/CA... Something like Benz, BMW might be lucrative, but its pretty hard to get certified for those, as I gather. I think you have to have connections.