Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

I declare the declaration of independence unconstitutional...

Old 11-24-2004, 09:36 PM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I declare the declaration of independence unconstitutional...

http://www.reuters.com/printerFriend...toryID=6911883

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A California teacher has been barred by his school from giving students documents from American history that refer to God -- including the Declaration of Independence.

Steven Williams, a fifth-grade teacher at Stevens Creek School in the San Francisco Bay area suburb of Cupertino, sued for discrimination on Monday, claiming he had been singled out for censorship by principal Patricia Vidmar because he is a Christian.

"It's a fact of American history that our founders were religious men, and to hide this fact from young fifth-graders in the name of political correctness is outrageous and shameful," said Williams' attorney, Terry Thompson.

"Williams wants to teach his students the true history of our country," he said. "There is nothing in the Establishment Clause (of the U.S. Constitution) that prohibits a teacher from showing students the Declaration of Independence."

Vidmar could not be reached for comment on the lawsuit, which was filed on Monday in U.S. District Court in San Jose and claims violations of Williams rights to free speech under the First Amendment.

Phyllis Vogel, assistant superintendent for Cupertino Unified School District, said the lawsuit had been forwarded to a staff attorney. She declined to comment further.

Williams asserts in the lawsuit that since May he has been required to submit all of his lesson plans and supplemental handouts to Vidmar for approval, and that the principal will not permit him to use any that contain references to God or Christianity.

Among the materials she has rejected, according to Williams, are excerpts from the Declaration of Independence, George Washington's journal, John Adams' diary, Samuel Adams' "The Rights of the Colonists" and William Penn's "The Frame of Government of Pennsylvania."

"He hands out a lot of material and perhaps 5 to 10 percent refers to God and Christianity because that's what the founders wrote," said Thompson, a lawyer for the Alliance Defense Fund, which advocates for religious freedom. "The principal seems to be systematically censoring material that refers to Christianity and it is pure discrimination."

In June, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear the case of a California atheist who wanted the words "under God" struck from the Pledge of Allegiance as recited by school children. The appeals court in California had found that the phrase amounted to a violation of church and state separation

Riiiiiiight what are we going to teach the kids, that we declared independence by asking plums?
Old 11-24-2004, 09:52 PM
reno96teg

ugh..

unfortunately, it seems the left loves this kind of stuff. as i said in another thread, this is the kind of stuff that will lead to our downfall.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:08 AM
ED9man
driver

Wow, where's the guillotine when you need it?
Old 11-25-2004, 07:17 AM
Jessica
ch1x0r

Originally Posted by Reno Fett
ugh..

unfortunately, it seems the left loves this kind of stuff. as i said in another thread, this is the kind of stuff that will lead to our downfall.
no, i think thats taking it a little too far. i also believe that a lot of lefties would agree with me on that.
i just told my mother that, and she immediately replied, "that's stupid." And we're some of the staunchest supporters of the seperation of church and state.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:39 AM
cowanpp
Card carrying badass

I'll say that I agree this sounds stupid from the report. However, I'd like to see the rest of the documents he was handing out. I'd like to think the school didn't ban him from hand outs for nothing.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:56 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally Posted by cowanpp
I'll say that I agree this sounds stupid from the report. However, I'd like to see the rest of the documents he was handing out. I'd like to think the school didn't ban him from hand outs for nothing.
:dunno: it is california after all

h:
Old 11-25-2004, 08:27 AM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

ugh..

Shut the **** up. Do you honestly think that, for example, Fatbooty and I think that Vidmar was doing the right thing?

Blaming the left for everything that you don't like doesn't make you cool; it makes you an asshole.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:54 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by cowanpp
:werd: I would like to think this was more of a pattern of behavior than a one-time incident. Also, his reasons for sharing the Declairation of Independence are all messed up... he didn't want to educate the children on history so much as reinforce christianity, as in this statement from his lawyer:

"It's a fact of American history that our founders were religious men, and to hide this fact from young fifth-graders in the name of political correctness is outrageous and shameful,"
Also, maybe he had gone through and highlighted and circled every time God was mentioned? That would most certainly be inappropriate for a elementary school... but the fact is that we don't have all of the facts yet, and certainly not enough facts to start accusing either side of wrongdoing...

But if this was an unaltered document, and he didn't have a history of trying to change the children's beliefs, I would agree this is pretty stupid... But I don't think we have all of the facts yet.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:07 AM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

"Teacher: God on history's side"
http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Storie...558339,00.html

Link above goes to an excellent article.

I think Williams is incorrect that he has a first amendment right to teach the students the content of those documents. I don't think its a Consitutional issue at all. He does, however, have an educational imperative to teach the kids about the Declaration of Independence and the people who founded our nation. Some of them were religious and some were not. It isn't a matter of endorsing one choice over another -- whoever those people were, its our history and we can't let anyone hide it.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

:blah:
He does make a point against your baseless namecalling and fingerpointing... would you please treat him with respect at least?