Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Hot water!

Old 11-10-2004, 05:49 AM
Tark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot water!

HWo knows anything about water heaters? A couple of month ago Me and my roomate were able to take 2 shower in a row with no problem. Now after one shower there is no more hot water... Dont know why, the we dont take long shower 10min each about, but after the first shower there is NO hot water anymore... could it be that the water heater is dead? one of the heating elements, or any other ideas? here is a pic of the spec sticker...
Old 11-10-2004, 05:57 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by tark_o
one of the heating elements, or any other ideas? here is a pic of the spec sticker...
there's your problem ... it's not a honda :reechy:
Old 11-10-2004, 06:01 AM
skabone69

how old is the hot water heater? the average life of a heater is about 10-15 years. are there any leaks you can see? do you own the place where you live? if not I'd hit up the landlord and tell him the water heater is not working. if you own the place buy a new one, they are actually pretty easy to install. you'll need copper piping, a pipe cutter, silicon tape, the water heater, and some knoweldge of basic wiring.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:28 AM
Tark

Originally Posted by skabone69
how old is the hot water heater? the average life of a heater is about 10-15 years. are there any leaks you can see? do you own the place where you live? if not I'd hit up the landlord and tell him the water heater is not working. if you own the place buy a new one, they are actually pretty easy to install. you'll need copper piping, a pipe cutter, silicon tape, the water heater, and some knoweldge of basic wiring.
It a 1996,no visible leaks...and yes i own the place! So i cant bitch at the landlord. but is 40 gallons big enough for 2 showers?
Old 11-10-2004, 06:34 AM
skabone69

Originally Posted by tark_o
It a 1996,no visible leaks...and yes i own the place! So i cant bitch at the landlord. but is 40 gallons big enough for 2 showers?
40 gallons should be enough, I would think. go out to home depot or Sears and ask them what would fit your needs. I've got an 80 gallon water heater for 3 showers and that's considered overkill.

oh yeah I also forgot, you'll also need a torch, solder, and I forget the name of it but you use this paste between the welds to suck the solder in. its a fairly easy weekend project. the toughest part is getting the old water heater out of the house.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:40 AM
Tark

Originally Posted by skabone69
40 gallons should be enough, I would think. go out to home depot or Sears and ask them what would fit your needs. I've got an 80 gallon water heater for 3 showers and that's considered overkill.

oh yeah I also forgot, you'll also need a torch, solder, and I forget the name of it but you use this paste between the welds to suck the solder in. its a fairly easy weekend project. the toughest part is getting the old water heater out of the house.
well here the electric company rents the heaters, intalled it would come up to 7.99/month. Buying it is arround $507 so i thing that i will rent it, specially since i am thinking about moving out in a year or so...
Old 11-10-2004, 06:41 AM
DakarM

turn up the temperature on the heater.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:47 AM
skabone69

Originally Posted by Grand Moff Tark_0
well here the electric company rents the heaters, intalled it would come up to 7.99/month. Buying it is arround $507 so i thing that i will rent it, specially since i am thinking about moving out in a year or so...
in that case definately rent it.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:49 AM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

ooooh shower together....
Old 11-10-2004, 07:58 AM
strychnine
i am legend

if it is the element they're very easy to replace, and shouldnt cost more than $20US