Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

apple vs. pc

Old 10-19-2004, 06:45 PM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll jump back on topic:

All my desktop and laptop computers run Windows right now. All my servers run linux (either Debian or Gentoo). Back in college I had to make a short film for a class so I bought a PowerMac G4, and it was awesome. OSX is outstanding.

Eventually I wanted to play games again, so I traded the Mac for a P4 2.2 ghz machine that came with a 17" LCD. The only thing I miss right now about the Mac is the Harman/Kardon soundsticks, but for the actual work that I had to get done at the time, the Mac rocked my socks.

Point being: use the right tool for the job. Everything else is bullshit.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:23 PM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

only good mac is a mac that's got a bat through it
-----
Old 10-19-2004, 09:25 PM
qtiger

Originally Posted by Skad
If you think typing a command for the same results makes you cooler & smarter, more power to you
If you think paying more money for a virtually identical product is cooler & smarter, more power to you as well.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:21 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

I think the Mac and PC debate comes down to what you need. I've had a slew of PC's, currently a P4 2.4 Ghz Sony laptop with Windows XP, and I used an iMac at work for a while until a I got a PC. Surprisingly I had more problems with the iMac than any Windows machine I ever had. Basically, I would be typing along and the little window with the bomb would come up on to the screen, and it would be game over. I also didn't like the one button mouse. The Mac was a bit easier to use (but definitely not as customizable, imho).

The reason I've stayed with PC's is that, as an engineer, PC's are a lot more useful. I use Solidworks, Unigraphics, LabView, MATLAB Fluent, Hyperworks, and a slew of other engineering programs that are not available on Mac. So, I probably won't ever switch to Mac. But I can see someone who just uses their computer to surf the web and type reports switching to Mac.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:27 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Originally Posted by Kestrel
But I can see someone who just uses their computer to surf the web and type reports switching to Mac.

that was pretty ignorant.

anyways....like you said...it comes down to what you use your computer for. engineers like you need PC's. Designers, media artists, entertainment industries uses Macs.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:31 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Originally Posted by asiandoood

anyways....like you said...it comes down to what you use your computer for. engineers like you need PC's. Designers, media artists, entertainment industries uses Macs.
I didn't mean it come off as ignorant, but a lot of people, especially at home, use their computer to type and surf the internet.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:52 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

there are misconceptions on both sides... and the number one is that mac still 0wns for graphic design. That used to be the case, but PC's have become faster and more versitile when it comes to graphic design.

Sure some of them still use macs... but tons of places have switched to Windows/Linux.

I used to work in a small print shop that had 3 printing presses and a few various other things, we would make things for local schools. Flyers, brochures, etc.
ASSUMING they were better for the job, the boss bought 5 Mac's with all the latest (at the time) graphic design software. Wasted like $35k. The 5 people they hired were all college grads and had been working in the field for 1-4 years. They were all taught using Mac's. They learned and worked with Mac's for their whole college career and in the field. Someone else in the IT shop area had a Windows 98 machine with Photoshop something. It was a cheap machine, $1,500 maybe. Once they knew about it, all those high level designers with the state of the art macs were sneeking over to the windows 98 machine to do their work because it was more stable, faster and offered more options than the mac counterpart.

After about a month of complaining to the boss, they trashed (and I mean picked up and threw the mac's into the dumpster, I got to help) all the macs and got brand new Windows computers with all the same software. The boss said their productivity went up like 15%, they were able to render and filter things in no time compared to the old macs. Boss said profit for the dept went up considerable as we were able to do more work in less time. The switch to 5 highend pc's was less than $20k with software, savings of over $15k.

5 graphic designers who were born and raised on macs, taught on macs, learned on macs, loved macs... switched to windows because it was simply better for their job.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:17 AM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

Originally Posted by asiandoood

Its funny that you said he was ignorant and then agreed entirely with him. Way to be.

Speaking of ignorant, do you know what Solidworks is? He's talking about applications that are simply not available on any other platform. Additionally, in a setting like a machine shop, its nice to be able to use commodity hardware in your computers. Among other things, it makes it really easy to upgrade to something faster. If you thought Photoshop ran slowly, you'd be shocked at how long it takes to render in Solidworks. Frequent upgrades to a Mac become uber-expensive.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:41 AM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

All these problems people have with XP...I have none. I don't know. Personally, I get pissed off at the library without having my right click :wtc: You know it's bad when a 60 year old lady comes up to the catalog computer next to you and gets mad that she can't right click :wtc:
Old 10-20-2004, 10:52 AM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Originally Posted by clickwir

there are misconceptions on both sides... and the number one is that mac still 0wns for graphic design. That used to be the case, but PC's have become faster and more versitile when it comes to graphic design.

Sure some of them still use macs... but tons of places have switched to Windows/Linux.

I used to work in a small print shop that had 3 printing presses and a few various other things, we would make things for local schools. Flyers, brochures, etc.
ASSUMING they were better for the job, the boss bought 5 Mac's with all the latest (at the time) graphic design software. Wasted like $35k. The 5 people they hired were all college grads and had been working in the field for 1-4 years. They were all taught using Mac's. They learned and worked with Mac's for their whole college career and in the field. Someone else in the IT shop area had a Windows 98 machine with Photoshop something. It was a cheap machine, $1,500 maybe. Once they knew about it, all those high level designers with the state of the art macs were sneeking over to the windows 98 machine to do their work because it was more stable, faster and offered more options than the mac counterpart.

After about a month of complaining to the boss, they trashed (and I mean picked up and threw the mac's into the dumpster, I got to help) all the macs and got brand new Windows computers with all the same software. The boss said their productivity went up like 15%, they were able to render and filter things in no time compared to the old macs. Boss said profit for the dept went up considerable as we were able to do more work in less time. The switch to 5 highend pc's was less than $20k with software, savings of over $15k.

5 graphic designers who were born and raised on macs, taught on macs, learned on macs, loved macs... switched to windows because it was simply better for their job.

there's a difference between "desktop publishing" and "graphic design". a lot of people get those two confused. print shops are usually places that do color separation, and pre-production stuff before print. throwing a brochure or flyer together really takes no concept. you just gotta know the program and lay it out. its like going to a kinko's and having them make you a brochure or sign from their readily availible "layouts" they have on file. just plug in components and print. windows will kick ass doing that. in your printshop's case....a PC is better for that job.

now if you are reffering to a "real" design firm....then you'll know why they'll use macs over pc's. real design firms do not own industrial size printing presses, they outsource for their print...where your print shop comes to play. you can go to big design organizations of design firms and ask them what they use. www.aiga.com and www.linkup.com ...99% will tell you they use macs for design and PC for printing servers to do comp prints. i am in the design field. i have friends that work in prestige design firms in san francisco and los angeles who have worked on and still work on big projects for big clients (Citibank, United Airlines, Univeral Pictures, Paramount Pictures, etc. etc.) , and i also have friends that work in big printing presses and printshops. I've been to both enviroments and offices. The Mac is better for the job in terms of design...the PC is better for the job in terms of pre-press and production.