Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Fish people, Help me out. 29Gal setup

Old 09-08-2004, 02:54 PM
supapoopa
Nissan: Shift_Recall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sooo, what do you guys think of the filter? WOuld it be overkill as well or just right?
Old 09-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally Posted by supapoopa
sooo, what do you guys think of the filter? WOuld it be overkill as well or just right?
IMO there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to mechanical filtration
Old 09-08-2004, 04:31 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, you want the water to be sufficiently filtered, but if the filter creates so much circulation that theres a constant and fairly rapid flow of water, it will disturb many fish and can kill some. I found that by over-filtering my tank 50% with a waterfall-style filter, I created a pretty strong stream in the tank... which really stressed out my gouramis. If you can get a larger capacity filter with a less pronounced effect on water flow, that would work fine.

As for the heater... if you have the money, get one with a thermostat. I had a similar one to the one you're describing, and with the air temperature changes in my apartment, and such impresice adjustment, I had to check on it at least 4 times a day... which was a major PITA. My water temperature ended up fluctuating a LOT more than it should have.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
well, you want the water to be sufficiently filtered, but if the filter creates so much circulation that theres a constant and fairly rapid flow of water, it will disturb many fish and can kill some. I found that by over-filtering my tank 50% with a waterfall-style filter, I created a pretty strong stream in the tank... which really stressed out my gouramis. If you can get a larger capacity filter with a less pronounced effect on water flow, that would work fine.
that all depends on the type of fish.. if the fish's indiginous habitat consists of a lot of fast moving water(ie rivers, streams, etc) then the added flow is beneficial
Old 09-08-2004, 09:07 PM
supapoopa

whats cool is that you can adjust the flow rate of the water being pumped through the filters. I just unpacked it right now and this thing is freaking huge. :eek3: Its more then twice the size of the Penguin 125 a exchanged it for. The back of the filter extents 3.5" away from the tank which will leave a... 3.5-4" gap from the tank and the wall (might look kind of funny). Guess i might have to put the tank at an angle in the corner of the room. :dunno:

DID I MENTION THIS THING IS HUGE! here are some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2318.JPG (259.0 KB, 19 views)
IMG_2320.JPG (197.8 KB, 82 views)
IMG_2321.JPG (210.2 KB, 17 views)
IMG_2322.JPG (185.4 KB, 19 views)
IMG_2324.JPG (230.0 KB, 8 views)
IMG_2325.JPG (245.3 KB, 116 views)
Old 09-08-2004, 09:18 PM
supapoopa

Originally Posted by white_n_slow

As for the heater... if you have the money, get one with a thermostat.
I also exchanged the heater today for the vis-thermal 100 watt. The temp adjustments at the end of the heater are in degrees so I assume it has a thermostat built into it.

This tank setup is gonna be pretty sweet considering what i paid...

tank
stand w/ matching top
flurescent light hood
the new filter (only had to put in $2.48 with exchange of other filter and rainbow rock that came with deal)
100 watt heater (got $2.70 back with the exchange of the 200 watt)
about .5" if gravel (need more)
and a tall plastic plant.

all for...

$120!! swwweeeet deal.

Will post pics of the actual tank and stand tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

How 'bout aeration? You got an air pump in there? I've always used an undergravel filter in conjunction with a back-filter. It always made my tanks much easier to clean and maintain.

Edit: That earlier post sounds like one heck of a crowded tank. But don't worry, the cichlids will eat the other fish and make room for themselves.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:09 AM
supapoopa

Originally Posted by Jafro

Edit: That earlier post sounds like one heck of a crowded tank. But don't worry, the cichlids will eat the other fish and make room for themselves.

i don't think i'll need more then what the filter will provide (aeration). I'm not going with the smaller tetras, if i do finally decide to get the Blue Rams I would go with barbs or larger tetras (buenos aires, 2"+). Blue Rams while still semi-aggressive are more passive then most dwarf cichlids.

As for stocking the tank my new plans are...

2 Blue rams
6-7 barbs (tiger/ albino tiger/ green) or larger tetras.
2 bamboo shrimp
Old 09-09-2004, 12:50 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally Posted by supapoopa
6-7 barbs (tiger/ albino tiger/ green) or larger tetras.
2 bamboo shrimp
again, some expensive feeder fish IMO
Old 09-09-2004, 07:07 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

FYI: I used to have one heck of a carniverous angel fish. most any fish will eat anything they can fit in their mouth. In my angel fish's case... even some things they can't.