Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Fish people, Help me out. 29Gal setup

Old 09-07-2004, 09:42 PM
supapoopa
Nissan: Shift_Recall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any forums dedicated to aquatic hobbiests that you would recommend. I want to keep researching more about the Blue Rams.

I was actually originally going to go with Pearl Gourami's. But I was looking up fish on a site and came across the Blue Rams, went to local pet store and saw that they actually had 2 in stock and loved their coloration. I'm not to interested in the Dwarfs as they seem to be fin nippers. I was told the I wouldn't have any problems with the Pearls but getting them would limit the amount of other tetras i would place with them. (10 gal space dedicated to the gourami's, leaving 20 gal for everything else. )
Old 09-07-2004, 09:48 PM
supapoopa

just reading some posts on aquahobby.com and it seems that quite a few people have had them in the same tank with smaller tetra and that it worked out fine. Only down side is that the blue rams are very delicate with changes in water quality. Has to be kept exact all the time.

Here's a pic of one on the site. I think i might try my luck with them.

http://www.aquahobby.org/gallery/gram.html

the posts under the picture are a little contradictive, but reading up on them in the messege forum clears things up.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:30 PM
supapoopa

Originally Posted by white_n_slow

what kinda temp control does the heater have?
Just an unmarked knob with a + and a - for temp control.

Was thinking of swaping it out for a marineland 100 watt that has adjustments in temperature degrees. Will i be over working this heater in a 30 gal? or should i just stick with the 200 watt?

edit: lol, triple post.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:33 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

tetras are some expensive feeder fish:chuckles:
Old 09-08-2004, 04:42 AM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

You want at least 250GPH for 29gallon tank. The general rule is you want the tank to be filtered 100 times per hour. You can get away with a little less--but 170GPH is probably not going to be enough.

You can put some other tropical fish with cichlids. This is very limited--I usually use tetras. 6 or 7 of them. The cichlids can't catch them so they give up trying.

I have a yellow lab cichlid and it seems to be more docile. Definitely not "passive" but it hasn't killed any fish in the 8 months I've had him.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:52 AM
supapoopa

So would the 200 watt heater be to much for 29 gal? The one i have is from aquatic gardens glass incased, i'm going to trade it for a vis-thermal submercible plastic shealth heater. Heard they were better quality and don't have to worry about the glass breaking for any reason.

I think i will be downgrading it to a 100 watt because on all the packagings they recommend 100 watt to 30 gal. and 200 watt to 55 gal. Don't want to risk cooking my fish in the tank.

will be getting a biggert filter also... does this one seem ok or to much?

Penquin filter
Old 09-08-2004, 12:12 PM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

Originally Posted by supapoopa
So would the 200 watt heater be to much for 29 gal? The one i have is from aquatic gardens glass incased, i'm going to trade it for a vis-thermal submercible plastic shealth heater. Heard they were better quality and don't have to worry about the glass breaking for any reason.

I think i will be downgrading it to a 100 watt because on all the packagings they recommend 100 watt to 30 gal. and 200 watt to 55 gal. Don't want to risk cooking my fish in the tank.

will be getting a biggert filter also... does this one seem ok or to much?

Penquin filter
I believe I have a 100 watt on my 30gallon tank and it works great. I have to check to be sure though.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:05 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by supapoopa
Just an unmarked knob with a + and a - for temp control.

Was thinking of swaping it out for a marineland 100 watt that has adjustments in temperature degrees. Will i be over working this heater in a 30 gal? or should i just stick with the 200 watt?

edit: lol, triple post.
:wavey:

The only thing that makes me :eh: is the wattage on that heater.
If your fish are happiest at a specific temp., then I'd get a heater that's precise and appropriate for the application.

200 watts for 30 gallons - IMO - sounds like overkill. h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 09-08-2004, 01:13 PM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

Originally Posted by NorCal DC4
:wavey:

The only thing that makes me :eh: is the wattage on that heater.
If your fish are happiest at a specific temp., then I'd get a heater that's precise and appropriate for the application.

200 watts for 30 gallons - IMO - sounds like overkill. h:
General rule is 3 watts per gallon.

This would mean an 87 watt heater for a 29 gallon tank. Of course, you won't be exact--100 watt would work fine.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:42 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by redgoober4life
General rule is 3 watts per gallon.

This would mean an 87 watt heater for a 29 gallon tank. Of course, you won't be exact--100 watt would work fine.
Yeah, I thought it was somewhere around that.
But then again, it seems like the consensus was reached - without my input. h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!