Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

DIE 56k!!! VMP Test & Tune this morning...

Old 07-31-2004, 07:25 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIE 56k!!! VMP Test & Tune this morning...

Man. Talk about a good day. There's too much to tell, and I'll try to keep it short (yeah right!!!). Gate time 10:00 AM, Test and tune 11:00 AM. Timed runs 3:00 PM, Eliminations at 5:00. Nobody there. Maybe 20 people- tops running test and tune. Because the mod ET was running later in the evening, all the big 8-10 second boys were just camping out in the parking lot. I got 8 runs in in only 3 hours. Could have had plenty more, but given that I'm just finally tuning the car by buttcheeks, I had to spend some tweaking time to find out what it can do with pump gas.

It was HHHHOOOTTTT!!!! Humid. I have a raccoon face from my sun glasses. Burned myself several times on engine parts, too... oh, the joy.

I met some guys from VA beach that drive all the way to Dinwiddie because... they say it's the closest track. But, it isn't. Richmond Dragway is 25 miles closer. NEway. One had a stock white 1g FWD DSM with nothing more than 550 injectors and a small 16g turbo.

I wound up breaking into 13's again on my second run, I was told I had to have a helmet or run slower (ya... okay) and I was just about to rent one before he handed me his. He was running 14's for most of the day. Once he broke into 13's he volunteered to take turns with it. Nice guy.

Mental note (and part of my old slogan), buy a helmet. They're not just for cats anymore.

So... Here's my runs... I tried to turn my boost controller all the way down before the run so I could get a base tune starting from scratch... My car is #911.

Run 1- Turned boost controller the wrong way - all the way, before this run.

Oops. Pegged it at 2.2Bar. Big oops.

What is that 34 psi? Sure glad I got forged internals. Fuel cut before the 1/8 mile and coasted to the 1/4, but according to my A/F meter, I never ran lean.

Run 2 Boost = .7Bar as low as I could get it. 'bout 10 pounds.

Run 3 - Turned up the boost. Leaned out the WOT trim on the MAFT 2 clicks,
and the base one click.

Run 6 - Turned up the boost to 1.4 bar and got a crappy launch.

Run 7 It hooked!!! I broke into the 12's!!!

Run 8 - Red lighted!!!!

I ran on cheap Wawa 93 octane pump gas and tuned it by buttcheeks. I certainly hope I can tune some more out of it because of what I spent on it this year. I now know the block holds 34 PSI anyway... didn't know a big 16g could even do that. Scary at that boost level, too. I'm not leaking a thing now, and the ARP studs are doing their jobs well. I can run this motor harder than standard pump gas will allow. It was hitting fuel cut around 28 PSI. Fuel is cut when a DSM knock sensor begs for the ECU to shut the engine down. It's a safety thing built into the ECU, and when triggered, it makes you feel like your car hit a train. You go from a pinned-to-the-seat to a "thank God my seatbelt locked" position.

It's tuned to 20 PSI now. I was running 13.5's on the same Wawa gas with a small 16g/stock everything else just a year ago. Seems like a lot of work for only .7 seconds, and an extra 8mph, but I'm still having loads of fun with this car. I can't monitor knock, but EGT's never broke 840 degrees in either 3rd or 4th gears on any run today. Seems like a pretty safe tune, and any hint of fuel cut is gone. Could probably run 24 PSI on pump gas, but I ran out of tuning time.

With the low exhaust gas temps, and solid consistent passes it made, I'm fairly certain there's 50-100hp that can be gained by datalogging and proper engine tuning, and higher boost in conjunction with 116 octane racing fuel. It's pretty amazing to think I put down 370hp with a 2.0L (on a calculator)... with budget gas. Wawa here is the cheapest gas station in town. I can fill it up with that crap and daily-drive a 12-second car without having to de-tune it for pump gas. Whee!

On another note... of the 20 cars that were doing test & tune today, I had the fastest import. There were the usual 14-15 second Mustangs, the random 300zTT running mid-low 14's, the obligatory stock-engine'd 13-second first gen FWD Eclipse, and the only other faster car that was street legal was a LS-1 Firebird (of course). It was running 12.2-4's.

The VA beach DSMer said he'd try to send me the video of my runs that he shot. He had a DV cam, and said he'd try to figure out how to get the video off of it. He wasn't a computer-guy.

I weighed my car on the scale at the track. It said "3348" with me in it including 3 toolboxes, my service jack, 1/8 tank of gas, and a full interior.

So I came home, checked my email (no video yet, ), and ran the #'s through a horsepower calculator. I liked what I found...

Did I mention it was hot today?

Jafro
95 GSX

PS: Yeah and it was hot, too!
Old 07-31-2004, 07:30 PM
raiden571
turning u inside out

wow. nice times. i have been wanting a DSM but am a little affraid of there reliability, but nice runs none the less. id like to see how you would do off of street tires and with some gumballs.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:37 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Well... I was running on 4 NITTO 555R drag radials... that were nearly completely bald... with a plug in each one of them... The tech guys almost didn't let me run, but had pity on me (they never saw the plugs). I ran my old setup 13.50 @ 99.09mph with these tires, so I wanted to use them for my comparison times. Of course... they've sat flat outside in a parking lot on the car for a year since I did that. Only 2 wound up holding pressure all that time, and they had staples, nails, screws, all kinds of crap stuck in them. Thus... plugs in them now.

It's time for me to get a new set of tires. I'm thinkin 555's, but not the 555R's.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:04 PM
TeHJuSTiN
NAM #0001

DSM's- turning normal people into mechanics since 1989.

Nice runs.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:39 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

True... so true. I like the T-shirt that says... "In case you were wondering, here's what the front of my car looks like... and has a pic of the grille."

... or the bumper sticker that says... "the bulge on the hood means I'm happy to see you".
Old 08-01-2004, 01:02 PM
BigBobsDonuts
Banned

where did you get your av at? :squint:
Old 08-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Who me?
Old 08-01-2004, 06:32 PM
BigBobsDonuts
Banned

Originally Posted by Jafro
Who me?
yes
Old 08-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

I dunno. I've sort of had a slogan for about 10 years... life's a bitch, buy a helmet. Someone in the family emailed me that photo saying they got bored one day and made a helmet for their cat out of a lime. It seemed fitting at the time. I didn't really put a lot of thought into it or anything.

You think I should come up with something a little more interesting?