Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Study abroad

Old 07-30-2004, 01:50 PM
TTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Study abroad

Has anyone been to a different country for a semester to go to school there? I was thinking about doing this but would like to know how it went for everyone else first. If I do, I will more than likely go to a country in which I know basically nothing of the language (Japan is my first choice), which is my major concern. How would this affect my stay? Are there many English speaking people in Japan? I am very serious about doing this, and the college I am going to has a wonderful plan (pay only for plane tickets).
Old 07-30-2004, 02:00 PM
dom93hatch
more meat, more fire

I have a couple friends going to school in London and are having a blast.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:07 PM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

I took a semester in France in college. I thought I knew French pretty well but it's quite different when you're there. I was the only native English speaker in my school, although most of the teachers spoke English and several students. None of the classes were taught in English which made them very difficult and you can forget about any lecture classes. If you go to a state school and don't pay much for tuition then it's worth it just for the cultural experience.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:59 PM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get a chance to do it, don't pass it up. The study abroad program at my school is really interesting. You go somewhere for a term and it fulfills your entire option in international business. Very inticing.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:45 PM
ED9man
driver

Mt. Haruna :awais:

I know a kid who decided to study Japanese and got to Japan, he said that spending 3 months there after learning Japanese for a year in college made him almost fluent. He like it so much that he is going back for a year and a half. He told me only good things.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:42 PM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

Originally Posted by ED9man
Mt. Haruna :awais:

I know a kid who decided to study Japanese and got to Japan, he said that spending 3 months there after learning Japanese for a year in college made him almost fluent. He like it so much that he is going back for a year and a half. He told me only good things.
Fluent in 3 months. ok.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:43 PM
RB26DETT
Eagles > NFL

why not? i heard japanese is very easy to pick up
Old 07-30-2004, 06:25 PM
ED9man
driver

Originally Posted by g2tegls
Fluent in 3 months. ok.
He might have studied for a couple years in college, he is not fluent but knowledgable, he can get the jist of a conversation and communicate what he wants pretty well.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:10 PM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

That I can believe. I have a lot of respect for people who are truly fluent in a foreign language and I think a lot of people say they are fluent when they are really only "really good" or "good enough." I would say my French is "good enough."
Old 07-30-2004, 09:37 PM
TTT

Well, I know absolutely no Japanese, but after doing some research I have learned that all the classes there will be taught in English, and someone has told me that many Japanese people speak English as a second language. I would have a hard time getting around, but I don't think it would be necessary to speak the language for me to survive there for 3 months. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up the basics also.