Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

distributor testing for 94 corolla

Old 06-06-2004, 01:34 PM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distributor testing for 94 corolla

need some quick advice.

car: 94 toyota corolla

problem: died after passing a traffic light as if there was no gas and now it wont start but cranks perfectly fine

attempted solutions: filled gas, changed cap, rotor, and spark plug, checked fuel pressure, and replaced ignition coil

what i think could be wrong: ignition control unit or fuel pump

question for u: should i get a reading on my voltmeter during cranking if i stick the voltmeter to the end of the spark plug wire? i tried it but did not get voltage at any of the spark plug wires. also, what is the typical pressure of the fuel when the ignition is on?

TIA :goodjob:
Old 06-06-2004, 04:03 PM
S2Kev

You technically should get a voltage reading but don't ever do that again. Cranking the engine while the spark plug wire is unplugged from the spark plug is a bad idea. I know for a fact on Honda's the spark will just go back to the comptuer and fry it.

Typical fuel pressure is 40 psi.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:08 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

To check for spark take out a spark plug put it in the wire and hold the plug close to the body metal while someone cranks. You should see a spark if it is getting spark.

For Toyotas I had a RAV4 once that wouldn't start. It had a bad fuel pump however the pump was broke in a way if you smacked it hard enough it would work, then it wouldn't. It was off and on. What you can do to make sure you are getting a signal to the fuel pump is put your volt meter up to the wires on the fuel pump and crank the engine. I can't remember if you can get to the fuel pump from the top though, just pull on the bottom of the seat hard and pull it off, you should see under if it has a cover covering up a hole to the fuel pump or not.