Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Track Day Part 1: Laguna Seca

Old 05-16-2004, 07:13 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Day Part 1: Laguna Seca

About 24 hours ago, I just came back from my first track event at Laguna Seca. We stayed overnight in Salinas and woke at 5 am for track day. I ran 100 minutes overall, 20 minute sessions each.

Car: 1995 CX B16A Toda Stroked 1.9L w/ Stage 3 Crane Cams. Spoon Sports race transmission. Integra brakes, Hawk pads, Toyo T1-S street tires. Car pulls on the dyno about ~185 whp and ~130 torque.

Class: Novice

I shared the car with my coworker who ran the Intermediate session.

First session: I was getting the overall feeling of the car. I didnt know the car's limits, nor did I know the track physically. I couldnt base my knowledge of the track with Gran Turismo. My first instructor was pretty much an ass. He didnt give me any guidelines of how to take any of the turns nor show me the lines of the track. He did however look like Kelsey Grammer (Frasier). Basically this first session was kind of like a warmup to get the feel of the car and track. I was learning the limits of the car. I went about 4-5 laps putting together what I learned and watched from other drivers. Overall impression of first session: not confident. The track owned me.

Second session: I was able to get another instructor. This time, a woman. She has been racing for many years and owns what I beleive an E30 generation M3. She knows the track well, and instructs very very well. While on the track, she showed how to take each turn and when to take them. I found myself getting faster every lap. She pointed out my flaws and mistakes. The only turn I had no trouble and did without flaw was surprisingly the infamous Corkscrew. She was amazed that I knew how to turn in and out of the Corkscrew and followed the line. I guess GT3 helped in some way All the other turns, I needed help. I ran about 4-5 laps on this session too. Overall impression of second session: confident. I was eager for the next session.

BAM!! RED FLAG goes out on the intermediate session before my next session. All the cars pull into the pits....all but one. My coworker. All of our hearts were beating quite fast as we thought it might of been a bad accident. Usually sliding out off the track will trigger a yellow flag. We got word that a white Civic was on the top of the hill before the Rahal Straight. We were the only 2 Civics on the track. Greaaaat. After 20 minutes of worrying, we found out the driver and passenger is ok. The car...well thats another story. The car was ok. It didnt hit the wall or anything. But... the camshaft broke into 3 pieces. Unbelieveable. The car is done for the rest of the day. (see attached thumbnails)

Third session: I had no car. My boss decides to take his S2000 and leave me with the car he was using.

Car: 1999 Civic CX B18C5 Integra Type R fully built motor with Toda Spec B cams, ITR transmission, Integra Type R brakes with Spoon Sports monoblock calipers, Hoosier Race tires. Car pulls on the dyno at about ~206 whp and ~150 torque

...so I continued with the same instructor. She was quite nervous since I was a novice running on race tires. "Race tires mask your mistakes..." She was right, you cant really learn to drive on race tires, especially when you are a beginner. It was very evident for me. The race tires allowed me to make a lot of mistakes without showing it. I can take the apexes later and still make a good turn. On a car with more power and torque with stickier tires, it was quite fun, but less rewarding on the learning side. Again, she went over the lines and taught me how to take turn 2 (see map) as a double apex and also as a single apex. That turn is a bitch to accomplish. My other challenge was turn 11. I was always late on adjusting to the turn. Good tip to take turn 11 was to think of the straight away ahead of you. Overall impression of the third session: confident, and had to adjust to race tires and a more powerful car.

Fourth session: I was by myself. I had a passenger (my other coworker) I was pretty confident this time. I knew the limits of the new vehicle and I also know how to take the track. Every lap I was looking forward to the corkscrew. Although, I almost spun and pulled a good drift on turn 4 since I forgot to warm the race tires up. Scary...but fun. This session, I practiced how to take turn 2 as a single apex...and sort of nailed turn 11 better each lap. This session, I was able to pull about 7-8 laps. Overall impression for this session: Practiced what I learned and had FUN!

Fifth session: I was all over it. There was one lap where I pulled some pretty good turns on turn 2 and turn 11. Ran about 8-9 laps. The best session of the day.

Track day was over. We loaded the cars back into the trailer, and drove 2 hours back north to home. One of the best weekends I've had.

I highly recommend it to anyone who have interests in road racing. This high performance drivers education is very rewarding and you learn how to take your car to the limits on a track. The track will put you to shame if you think you know how to drive. I now know how to approach the apexes on the track. Next week is going to be Infineon Raceway (Sears Point). A more technical track. Until then...I will be practicing the right way on GT3 h:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
civics1.jpg (82.8 KB, 77 views)
white civic.jpg (71.4 KB, 66 views)
cracked cam.jpg (103.4 KB, 67 views)
cracked cam2.jpg (91.6 KB, 230 views)
cracked cam3.jpg (102.8 KB, 284 views)
Old 05-16-2004, 07:29 PM
dom93hatch
more meat, more fire

So what is your job anyway?
Old 05-16-2004, 07:31 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Originally Posted by dom93hatch
So what is your job anyway?

I emote faces for my personal website while driving really nice and fast cars :chuckles:
Old 05-16-2004, 07:32 PM
dom93hatch
more meat, more fire

No shit you're a race car driver now? As in that's your job description?

Could've done without the emoting part... That's obvious

Good shit though...
Old 05-16-2004, 07:36 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Originally Posted by dom93hatch
No shit you're a race car driver now? As in that's your job description?

Could've done without the emoting part... That's obvious

Good shit though...

I wouldnt say Im a race car driver...more like a driver who wants to learn how to drive a race car.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:38 PM
dom93hatch
more meat, more fire

:happysad:
Old 05-16-2004, 09:26 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Lucky bastard!!!! J/K Awesome writeup man. So what car are you driving next weekend? I'm kicking myself a million times for not registering for HPDE1 in time.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:30 PM
S2Kev

Originally Posted by agent87
Lucky bastard!!!! Awesome writeup man. So what car are you driving next weekend? I'm kicking myself a million times for not registering for HPDE1 in time.
:werd: I want to go now. :happysad:
Old 05-16-2004, 09:35 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't run the ferio h:

:down:

:chuckles:
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 05-16-2004, 09:46 PM
DakarM

did you see this car? 944 track car being towed by a 928
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.

Quick Reply: Track Day Part 1: Laguna Seca