Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Is this you?

Old 04-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this you?

Taken from
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/choice.shtml

Choice = Defense
The Tyranny of Choice is written by Barry Schwartz, professor of Social Theory at Swathmore College. The premise of his essay is that in contemporary society we are faced with an overabundance of choices, and that rather than leading to greater happiness, indeed for the type of person which he classifies as "maximizers", this over-abundance of choice often leads to decreased satisfaction and reduced happiness.

I want to bring the article to your attention because it speaks directly to some of the issues that I have been discussing on this site in several recent articles. But it approaches the subject from a different angle. According to Schwartz maximizers are people who always aim to make the best possible choice. When they are faced with a blizzard of such choices (as photographers are today when choosing a digital camera), they become obsessed with not making the wrong choice.

The other personality type are called "satisficers". These are people who when they find a product that meets their needs stop looking.

In some ways the personality type which I have irreverently called pixel-peepers are clearly maximizers. These are people who are obsessed with make the right choice (as if there actually is any such thing), and even when the choice is made and the purchase made worry whether they really made the right decision. Also, when they have made their choice they become very vocal in defending it. Sometimes this also involves denigrating the comparable choices that other people have made. We see this online in the form of those who "troll" the forums where other brands are discussed, and also people who act as staunch, even rabid defenders of the brands and models that they chose following their lengthy search and analysis.

Schwartz points out that there is a correlation between the amount of effort people put into their product purchase decision making and their ultimate satisfaction with that decision and the product in question. Just because they obsess over the decision doesn't necessarily mean that their satisfaction lasts longer. Indeed it is satisficers that are seen as being more satisfied with their decisions for longer, and also as generally being a happier personality type.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Sadiztik-R
Kittie Pr0n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

satisficer/maximizer
Old 04-10-2004, 09:09 PM
b00gers

dunno the term for it...but im open to a lot of opinions and rarely stand so firm on an issue that i cant look at the other side of the fence. :dunno:
Old 04-10-2004, 09:09 PM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im a satisficer for sure.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:14 PM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

I occasionally read a board called gminsidenews.com, and I have to say that a lot of the hardcore GM fans over there seem to get very personally and emotionally invested in GM products. They defend the company like its their sister. It gets a little surreal.

Here's a thread regarding the Accord:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/in...showtopic=4780

And the Civic:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/in...showtopic=4585

Note: I have posted in both of these threads. I also have the username benjamin on that board.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Sadiztik-R
Kittie Pr0n

Originally Posted by benjamin
I occasionally read a board called gminsidenews.com, and I have to say that a lot of the hardcore GM fans over there seem to get very personally and emotionally invested in GM products. They defend the company like its their sister. It gets a little surreal.

Here's a thread regarding the Accord:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/in...showtopic=4780

And the Civic:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/in...showtopic=4585

Note: I have posted in both of these threads. I also have the username benjamin on that board.
Damn I was browsing over there

They really hate Bangle
Old 04-10-2004, 10:43 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

is there a choice for Horny/Horny-er?
Old 04-10-2004, 11:28 PM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

i'm a maximizer :happysad: