Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Looking for a new job?

Old 03-17-2004, 05:16 PM
Mike Oxbigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a new job?

Poop Scooper Finds Job Fun, Refreshing

By Associated Press

March 16, 2004, 9:53 PM EST

SAGINAW, Mich. -- Whatever other people say, Jim Rindhage doesn't think his job stinks. Rindhage is a professional dog poop scooper. He is the owner of Scoop Master Pet Waste Removal Services and proudly displays his motto on his pickup door: "We Take a Load Off."

Rindhage is among a rising number of professional pooper scoopers who scoop the poop for money.

"A lot of people don't have the time for it," Rindhage told The Saginaw News for a recent story. "They get home from work, and they don't want to clean up in the back yard."

His customers in Bay, Saginaw and Tuscola counties call him weekly, monthly and yearly.

Jobs range in scope from 15-minute "one-baggers." Others are dog doo disasters.

"Me and my grandson did a yard one time with three (Labradors)," he recalls. "He says `There's no way we're getting out of this one clean.' We took 20 bags out of one yard."

Rindhage said he "stumbled" into this line of work. Himself a dog owner, he said he was researching his pet's illness on the Web when he came across the International Directory of Dog Waste Removal Services.

The site offers a directory of pooper scoopers in many states and offers links explaining how to break into the business.

"It's a huge industry," Rindhage says. "I thought, gosh, this is incredible."

Rindhage, also a maintenance worker for the Saginaw County Youth Protection Council, said the Web directory lists five pooper scooper businesses in the state, mostly in southeast Michigan.

Cleaning up an average lot-size yard pays about $60.

After every job, he uses a veterinary disinfectant to rinse off his tools and boots.

After a work day, he may have 20 pounds of feces in his pickup, and, at home, cleans up one last time.

He admits he gets teased by friends, but he enjoys the job.

"I enjoy getting outside, being out in the fresh air," he said. "If you ever get to the point where you hate going to work in the morning, you're in the wrong job."
Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press | Article licensing and reprint options