Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

anybody here good with computer hard disks?

Old 02-27-2004, 04:04 PM
maskedSONY
-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody here good with computer hard disks?

I recently got a new computer, and well I have to face the task of getting my old data on the new one.
I wanted to ask - how can i set up my old hard disk as a slave drive such that i can use it in my new system? I know theres some jumper changing involved, but theres a few more details that i need to get worked out such as:

BIOS configuration?
which ribbon to put in? (i know how to line up the pink with the left edge of the male pins)
any other wires to connect?
anything else im overlooking?

please post info.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:26 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maskedSONY
I recently got a new computer, and well I have to face the task of getting my old data on the new one.
I wanted to ask - how can i set up my old hard disk as a slave drive such that i can use it in my new system? I know theres some jumper changing involved, but theres a few more details that i need to get worked out such as:

BIOS configuration?
which ribbon to put in? (i know how to line up the pink with the left edge of the male pins)
any other wires to connect?
anything else im overlooking?

please post info.
If you have a hard drive that you plan to just use as a file system, I recommend that you hook it up on the center plug of your IDE cable. I always put master on the end and slave in the center. You can either set your primary/master hard drive jumper to CS (cable select) or master; and you can set your secondary/slave HD jumper to CS or slave. I've always had better luck putting my master on MA and my slave on SL. :dunno:

You will only need to have the IDE cable and the power cable connected to your secondary/slave drive.

You shouldn't have to make any changes to your BIOS.

Boot your system up and then go to the Disk Management pannel which can be found by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting "Manage". It looks like the attached image.

You can now format your newly installed drive. A Quick Format should do the trick and you can now being using it as a file system. You can set up partitions and whatnot from here as well.

hih man.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:40 AM
spanky
I go duffy on dem bitches

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he wants the new hard drive to be the main :fawk:

the sticker on your hard drive should say which pins are for which jumper setting

master goes on teh outside, slave goes in the middle.

all you have to do is boot to an OS cd and isntall your OS, MAKE SURE you isnatll it on the partition of your new drive and not the old one

after xp setup is done you'll see 2 hard drives in my computer.