Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Computer question

Old 06-27-2014, 10:27 AM
c_rogue69
wtf goes here?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer question

Hey guys, I have a computer question/issue that I'm trying to resolve. It's probably simple but I haven't dabbled in older (early 2000's) computer tech in a long time. I have this old computer from 2003 that was given to me in a class I took a couple of years ago. It's in great shape and I'm going to give it to my fiance so that she can have a computer to use for work. She really likes my dual monitor setup I have a home and wants the same. The issue is that the computer I'm giving her only has 1 VGA port and nothing else; no DVI or HDMI (obviously no HDMI haha). It does have a DB9 (?) serial port above the VGA port. I've gotten mixed messages about this, but are there legitimate adapters for a DB9 to VGA? Or do I need to invest in a cheap graphics card for the PCI slot? Either way it might cost the same, but I've seen adapters for $2-4 on Amazon, just wanted to make sure I wouldn't run into any major issues.

As far as the specs on the computer goes, I have no clue haha. It's an old Gateway that was used in a bank, 512MB of RAM, I think it has a Pentium 4 processor and that's all I really know. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:31 AM
yellowbastard
Bootyologist (__i__)

As far as I know, that can't be done as thats a com port. I'd just buy a cheap VGA card on Amazon or something. I'm sure you could even stop by a local computer shop and get a used/generic card for a few bucks, try craigslist too.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:33 AM
c_rogue69
wtf goes here?

Thanks, I appreciate it
Old 06-27-2014, 10:43 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the specs on the com right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties" which should give you a basic rundown of what it has installed as far as processor and memory and possibly some hardware such as graphics card.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:28 PM
c_rogue69
wtf goes here?

yeah, I know how to check the specs, it's just not hooked up and I'm too lazy to do it haha. I was just curious about the DB9 port and it's capabilities
Old 07-01-2014, 06:15 AM
swaggs21

should just be an easy swap of the video card to do what you wish.