Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

I don't understand some college students

Old 02-09-2004, 09:32 PM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I don't understand some college students

There was an article (editorial) in the school paper about how this guy doesn't want to graduate and go out into the real world. And supposedly my next door neighbor's plan (college student) is to stay in school as long as possible and to not work as long as he can.

Personally I can't stand having homework, dealing with grades, not having a steady income, and having to PAY to be there. I can't wait to get out on my own and start MAKING money instead of spending it.

Any opinions?
Old 02-09-2004, 09:34 PM
axemansean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RB
There was an article (editorial) in the school paper about how this guy doesn't want to graduate and go out into the real world. And supposedly my next door neighbor's plan (college student) is to stay in school as long as possible and to not work as long as he can.

Personally I can't stand having homework, dealing with grades, not having a steady income, and having to PAY to be there. I can't wait to get out on my own and start MAKING money instead of spending it.

Any opinions?
The grass is always greener on the other side. My brother and sis in law graduated in 1998 and 1999 respectively and both have very nice jobs. They keep telling me to stay in school as long as I can, while I am eager to get the hell out of here.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:35 PM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

i know plenty of people like that. they're in for a rude awakening when they finally graduate and no work experience.

or you can be like my ex....scared of the real world, so she went to grad school.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:37 PM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rich
i know plenty of people like that. they're in for a rude awakening when they finally graduate and no work experience.

or you can be like my ex....scared of the real world, so she went to grad school.

I figure going to grad school for a business degree is pretty friggin pointless. I think that in those 2-4 years of grad school, you'd learn a hell of a lot more if you're on the job rather than in a classroom.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:44 PM
DakarM

Originally Posted by RB
I figure going to grad school for a business degree is pretty friggin pointless. I think that in those 2-4 years of grad school, you'd learn a hell of a lot more if you're on the job rather than in a classroom.

of the 5 people that i know went back to school and got a MBA only one said they learned anything. however their earn potential shot up like crazy. talking high 60K to 6 figures in 3 years aint too bad.

of course except 1 out of the 5, the other 4 were heavily in debt.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:47 PM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

i would never say an MBA is a waste, but people should experience the real business world and gain some experience....then go back and apply what they've learned. they'll be able to appreciate the material and relate to everything much better.

i'm planning on taking the GMAT later this year i dont plan on learning much, but i'm doing for the earning potential rick mentioned.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:17 PM
sinthetiq

im less than a year out of college and i miss it.

i wish i were still in college, i feel like i rushed through just to graduate. more than half the people i know are still in school and they tell me they hate the exams, work, etc.. i envy them, i hate having to map my future and work.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:29 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Yeah all I have to worry about is homework and tests, and securing an internship or two. Sure out in the real world there's no homework and tests and you make a salary, but when the hell else can you be a professional bum? Sure you have to pay tuition and nobody really likes writing papers or taking tests, but there's so much other fun stuff to do while here. I mean, I sleep late, I go to class, I do homework, do a part-time job, and the rest of the time I can go out and party like a wild man and be surrounded by nubile young females with lowered inhibitions. Out in the real world they're less nubile, less young, their inhibitions aren't as low, and you have to actually take them out on dates! I mean who wants to do that? In this town at least, a date means you meet up with a girl before you get drunk instead of meeting after you're already drunk. I don't have to worry about a stupid boss, I don't have to worry about shitty coworkers, I don't have to worry about not getting promoted, I don't have to worry about the mortgage, or the investments, or the piles of other real-world things that need to get dealt with. I'm in a professional state of limbo fueled by junk food and alcohol. What's better than that?
Old 02-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

I rushed through too... I graduated when I was 20 to boot...

And now here I am less than a year later, and I'm kind of missing it... I'm not missing the papers and tests... I'm missing not having to worry about the future...

I'm getting all stressed trying to find jobs in this economy, and it sucks...
Old 02-09-2004, 10:38 PM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

any enginerds outta school for good yet?? if so, discuss.

I am a mech eng student, and I am 60% sure that I want to get dual BS degrees in mech eng and physics. Heck, its only ~17 credits [a lil more than a semester's worth] more than a mech eng BS degree and it would really broaden my field of expertise. I dun want to go to graduate enginerding school, at least not yet. I really do want to graduate asap tho, but in this economy, available jobs are slipping, so I want to have that dual degree.

Believe me, I want to get the hell out ok college tho. I'd be happy with 35k/yr. I'd even settle for less if I had to. College sucks. Not school itself, but having to work two jobs sucks. One ~20 hr/wk job just doesnt pay the bills, and 2 jobs like that is very stressful and doesnt let you take as many credits at school. Well, at least I'm ballin' in college:deek:. you dont see that happening too much

Quick Reply: I don't understand some college students