Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Really weird XP issue

Old 02-02-2004, 01:10 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really weird XP issue

Okay so normally I connect to the internet via my cable modem and over a wireless connection through my router. This morning I tried to get on and it wouldn't work. I went into my network connections window and have no network connections. My hardware is all installed fine. I tried to run the network setup wizard, but when I try to open it nothing happens. I even tried to drag-n-drop the dll file for it onto rundll.exe and that didn't do anything. Then I plugged in a network cable to see if I could get a connection to show up that way. No connection showed up but for some reason I am indeed connected to the network and can get on the internet just fine. I really would like to be able to use my wireless connection and for that matter I would like to have access to my network connections control panel instead of just seeing a blank window. I ran adaware, spybot and norton and nothing out of the ordinary came up with any of them. Anybody got an idea?
Old 02-02-2004, 01:12 PM
axemansean

Shut down the pc.
Shut down the cable modem.
Wait 30 seconds
Turn on modem.
Turn on pc.

See if that helps.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:14 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Do you think I'm some kind of idiot here? I know how to restart things.

I have a router, and the cable modem works just fine. I'm on the modem right now through the router. It's just that when I open up the network connections control panel no connections are there, even though I am clearly connected. The other weird part is that none of my other networking-relating things are working on this computer but I can still get on the internet.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:16 PM
axemansean

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Do you think I'm some kind of idiot here? I know how to restart things.

I have a router, and the cable modem works just fine. I'm on the modem right now through the router. It's just that when I open up the network connections control panel no connections are there, even though I am clearly connected. The other weird part is that none of my other networking-relating things are working on this computer but I can still get on the internet.
I don't think you are an idiot but its one of the simplest fixes out there.

Try a release renew of your IP.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:20 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

weird... no network but it actually works. neat! Find out how it did it and sell it!

I'd say try reinstalling the network cards and see if that helps them to show up.

I know you're not an idiot, but I also don't know how far your knowledge extends... in the control panel go into SYSTEM and click on the hardware tab and then on device manager. remove anything under "Network Adapters" then reboot and reinstall each one.

Just for good measure I'd goto the website for each card mfgr and get the latest drivers just to make sure.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:43 PM
sxecrow
Banned

You people need to check the simpliest things first. Always unsure the basic service is running on your computer.

Start, settings, control panel, administrative tools, services

ensure DHCP client is running and also that your PC is pulling an IP besides APIPA (automatic private ip addressing ... 169.254.x.x)

If it's not getting an address and the service is running, then its the intermediary between you and your network. Check your card then and make sure it's enabled. Right click network place. Properties. Ensure that LAN is enabled and not turned off. I get calls on this shit all the time. If it's a laptop, you possibly hit a hotkey to disable your NIC.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:47 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

network connections window and have no network connections

I think he means he goes into Network Connections and there's nothing there.... that's how I read it anyway.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:48 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

The NIC is enabled, DHCP client is running. The only way I can check for an ip is to run ipconfig from the command prompt, but when I do it shows I am pulling an ip from the router same as it always does. The only thing that would give some kind of information is that for media state it says "media disconnected."
Old 02-02-2004, 01:50 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by clickwir
network connections window and have no network connections

I think he means he goes into Network Connections and there's nothing there.... that's how I read it anyway.
Correct, it is a blank window. The status bar says 0 objects.

I love the superiority compexes with everyone telling me to do the obvious solutions. To make it painfully clear, I have already checked all of the standard things.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:54 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

hmm. Damn, I was hoping I was wrong.

I really have never run accross that. I once had a system with 3 NIC's in it and one was not showing in the Network connections... I just reinstalled it and then there were 3 icons again. Other than that I am not really sure.

just maybe this might help. start > run > netsh int ip reset c:\tcpipreset.txt

put in that whole big ole thing and see if that helps. resets the TCP/IP stack of XP. there's a whole ton of options and things to reset if you go into just netsh in a command window... but I'm not sure if any of them would help.

Quick Reply: Really weird XP issue