Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Going to New York for the first time. What to wear?

Old 01-09-2004, 04:48 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to New York for the first time. What to wear?

Silly question I know. We land at JFK and I believe we'll be staying in the Manhattan area. I've never been...and it's supposed to be pretty cold there. Any tips?
Old 01-09-2004, 04:50 PM
DakarM

wear something warm also layers layers layers
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go buck naked and carry a banjo...chicks there dig it
Old 01-09-2004, 05:19 PM
96GreenCivic

layering is Key! Are you staying in a hotel? Bring a waterproof shell so you don't have to carry an umbrella. Wear good sneakers and bring a map. You may look touristy, but you don't wanna get lost. Oh, when you pass by the "not so priviliged" just don't make eye contact. Especially when you see people shouting or talking to themselves. Overall NYC is safe, but you still must always be aware of your surroundings. Have fun!
Old 01-09-2004, 06:19 PM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wear a shank

wear a beater, a tight t shirt, long sleeve shirt and a heavy jacket. wear thermal undies if you have to. you cali cac's are known to be weak in up-north winters. bring some boots too... comfy ones. and remember that most of your lost body heat comes from your head, so WEAR A NICE WARM HAT.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Going to New York for the first time. What to wear?

Originally posted by agent87
Silly question I know. We land at JFK and I believe we'll be staying in the Manhattan area. I've never been...and it's supposed to be pretty cold there. Any tips?

:awais:

When are you coming??

To give you an idea...

At this very second, it is 8 degree's over here... feels like -3.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 01-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a cut and paste of the forecast, sorry bad editing, not at my computer.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 01-09-2004, 07:55 PM
skabone69

well, its 1degree in Boston right now. a little colder. wear a really warm winter parka, long sleeves and jeans if your not going too far. if you have to walk more than 5minutes to get somewhere, dress warmer.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:19 PM
maskedSONY
-

get a wool sweater and some good socks. if you have spandex for your legs that cna also help keep you warm if you are going to be outside for some time.

well, its a bit warmer downstate than upstate. we're freezing our asses off up here. its like 10 degrees with a wind chill.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:45 AM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Default Re: Re: Going to New York for the first time. What to wear?

Originally posted by DakarM
wear something warm also layers layers layers
Thanks Rick. I don't have anything particularly thick so I think I'll be forced to layer anyway.
Originally posted by Nightshade
Go buck naked and carry a banjo...chicks there dig it
Something tells me I wouldn't attract the same kind of attention if I did that.
Originally posted by 96GreenCivic
layering is Key! Are you staying in a hotel? Bring a waterproof shell so you don't have to carry an umbrella. Wear good sneakers and bring a map. You may look touristy, but you don't wanna get lost. Oh, when you pass by the "not so priviliged" just don't make eye contact. Especially when you see people shouting or talking to themselves. Overall NYC is safe, but you still must always be aware of your surroundings. Have fun!
Thanks for the tips! I'll be staying at some friends' apartment. From what you describe, it sounds just like some parts of SF...but I imagine it to be colder, bigger, and more hectic.
Originally posted by brtecson
wear a shank

wear a beater, a tight t shirt, long sleeve shirt and a heavy jacket. wear thermal undies if you have to. you cali cac's are known to be weak in up-north winters. bring some boots too... comfy ones. and remember that most of your lost body heat comes from your head, so WEAR A NICE WARM HAT.
Haha, this is one cali cac who's so tough, he doesn't need the shank or all that clothing... j/k, who am I kidding. Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my head warm.
Originally posted by MaxBoosT

:awais:

When are you coming??

To give you an idea...

At this very second, it is 8 degree's over here... feels like -3.
I actually leave for the airport in about 5.5 hours. We should arrive at JFK around 5:25pm. And I haven't even packed yet!

Originally posted by MaxBoosT
Here is a cut and paste of the forecast, sorry bad editing, not at my computer.
Originally posted by skabone69
well, its 1degree in Boston right now. a little colder. wear a really warm winter parka, long sleeves and jeans if your not going too far. if you have to walk more than 5minutes to get somewhere, dress warmer.
Thanks for the forecasts. I've been hearing a lot about how cold it is over there... I'm :nervous:
Originally posted by maskedSONY
get a wool sweater and some good socks. if you have spandex for your legs that cna also help keep you warm if you are going to be outside for some time.

well, its a bit warmer downstate than upstate. we're freezing our asses off up here. its like 10 degrees with a wind chill.
I was thinking about wearing workout pants underneath my jeans if I can't handle it. Would that work? I've been meaning to get some long underwear but never got around to it.