Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

projected prices for consumer dvd9 stuff??

Old 01-08-2004, 03:04 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default projected prices for consumer dvd9 stuff??

Do any of you guys know the projected prices of dvd9 burners and/or blank dvd9 media?? DVD9 burning will be a reality this spring, and I'm really excited, but I'm curious as to how much it'll cost me.

if you dont know, how much would ya think??
Old 01-08-2004, 04:10 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a new format of DVD or something?
Old 01-08-2004, 10:27 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

kinda.

Currently, consumer grade blank dvd's can only hold 4.7gb of data. The average movie alone is prolly around ~5gb, plus menus and extra scenes, which are usually another 3gb, meaning that consumers have to downgrade the quality of the dvd to make a backup of it. In the spring[hopefully], they will start producing dual layer blanks, which can be burned with a laser, which can hold almost 9gb of data. As of now, the only dvd's that can hold that much data [known as dvd9's, can hold approx 9.5gb] are commercially made, and are "stamped" together. I dont exactly know how they are "stamped" but I do know that they are not burned with a red laser like a cdr or dvdr.

the format will be coming from the "+r/rw" alliance, meaning hp and phillips and a few other brands will be leading the way in producing hardware that burns the dvds. verbatim will be leading the way in making blanks.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:39 AM
HawtPants
the one and only

its gonna be mucho $$$. id rather wait 2 years and then hop on it. so far dvd5 is good for meh
Old 01-08-2004, 11:53 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

thats what i'm worried about. verbatims dvd5's are like $2/ea when bought in bulk :ugh:
Old 01-08-2004, 11:54 AM
stephan
:exnbp:

Going to be up the ass for like 2 years then a price drop
Old 01-08-2004, 11:58 AM
HawtPants
the one and only

i use riteks for ~1.05 each after shipping and tax
Old 01-08-2004, 12:05 PM
brtecson
pukimonster

i need to start buying dvdr's online. i been buying them at compusa lately 10/$10, but for a generic disc, thats actually kinda expensive.

i think i should get a pack of these: http://www.blank-cd-cdr.com/ho4xdvdme.html
Old 01-08-2004, 12:06 PM
DakarM

Originally posted by brtecson
kinda.

Currently, consumer grade blank dvd's can only hold 4.7gb of data. The average movie alone is prolly around ~5gb, plus menus and extra scenes, which are usually another 3gb, meaning that consumers have to downgrade the quality of the dvd to make a backup of it. In the spring[hopefully], they will start producing dual layer blanks, which can be burned with a laser, which can hold almost 9gb of data. As of now, the only dvd's that can hold that much data [known as dvd9's, can hold approx 9.5gb] are commercially made, and are "stamped" together. I dont exactly know how they are "stamped" but I do know that they are not burned with a red laser like a cdr or dvdr.

the format will be coming from the "+r/rw" alliance, meaning hp and phillips and a few other brands will be leading the way in producing hardware that burns the dvds. verbatim will be leading the way in making blanks.

dvds are stamped using a similar process with CDs.

a negative image of the master CD is made then they use that to "press" or "stamp" the CDs
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:08 PM
HawtPants
the one and only

Originally posted by brtecson
i need to start buying dvdr's online. i been buying them at compusa lately 10/$10, but for a generic disc, thats actually kinda expensive.

i think i should get a pack of these: http://www.blank-cd-cdr.com/ho4xdvdme.html
ya you could get those is you need more coasters for your coffee table. id get riteks from www.rima.com betta. not one coaster yet