Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Digi-cam.......help/advice/opinions please.

Old 12-17-2003, 08:14 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digi-cam.......help/advice/opinions please.

Whats up I know how important an issue digi-cams are around here so I figured I'd ask whoever was interested in helping.

I am tossing the idea of a digi-cam purchase. But am at a loss as to what direction to take, what is good what is bad, and what is better than something else. Confused yet? Ok.

Here are some of my requirements:

- 3 megapixel or better
- expandable memory with compact flash or SD
- audio/video capture
- obviously the better the highest resolution setting the better (for images)
- 320 x 240 video resolution
- under $250 and financing would be great

HP, and Gateway both offer financing, but its a revolving credit line. in other words a credit card. And I don't want nor need that.

Heres what I'm lookig at:

Gateway DC-M42 digi-cam

HP photosmart 735 digi-cam
Old 12-17-2003, 08:20 PM
97 VTec Lude

we (family) jsut got the cannon s400, 4 megapixels, records 3 minutes movies, and takes overall really nice pics, but as of the price? idk
Old 12-17-2003, 08:25 PM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

financing on something less than 250 bucks? :thinking:
Old 12-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 97 VTec Lude
we (family) jsut got the cannon s400, 4 megapixels, records 3 minutes movies, and takes overall really nice pics, but as of the price? idk
S400 is a pretty good camera for it's price. Nice size too.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 12-17-2003, 08:26 PM
b00gers

Default Re: Digi-cam.......help/advice/opinions please.

Originally posted by honda_pilot

- 3 megapixel or better
- expandable memory with compact flash or SD
- audio/video capture
- obviously the better the highest resolution setting the better (for images)
- 320 x 240 video resolution
- under $250 and financing would be great

the higher the resolution doesnt mean better pic quality. the quality of the CCD or CMOS plays a big part. also the lens and every other component. thats why you should stick to reputable brands.

be aware that most cameras will capture vid clips, but not all will be able to do sound.

the nikon 3100 is around that price range, a little more. it is 3.2 MP, uses CF, and does video without sound. the canon a70 is similar to the nikon 3100 in those ways, except it can capture sound.

http://dpreview.com/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

check those links out.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:28 PM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

Yeah, get the Canon S400, or any older model Elph.

I had a few Elph's over the years and they never failed me. I'm using a Sony P10 now and it's just lacking in functions and has an annoying interface. Only good thing is the memory stick so I can plug it into the tv to see pictures.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:43 PM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

Originally posted by evolution
Yeah, get the Canon S400, or any older model Elph.

I had a few Elph's over the years and they never failed me. I'm using a Sony P10 now and it's just lacking in functions and has an annoying interface. Only good thing is the memory stick so I can plug it into the tv to see pictures.
I like Sony's interface a lot. I guess it depends on what you learned on or are most familiar with. I have the Sony Mavica MVC-FD92 and although the resolution isn't good enough for 8x10s, it's good enough for on-screen viewing or small prints. It has a lot of functions, a lot of zoom, the battery life is amazing (I also like the on-screen minute-by-minute countdown of battery life), extreme macro, and dual format (1.44 floppy and memorys stick). Too bad it was grossly overpriced, even at the time I bought it. And I really don't use the floppy drive much. And the camera is huge. h:

Here's more specs.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec.../sony_fd92.asp
Old 12-17-2003, 08:59 PM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

Originally posted by g2tegls
I like Sony's interface a lot. I guess it depends on what you learned on or are most familiar with. I have the Sony Mavica MVC-FD92 and although the resolution isn't good enough for 8x10s, it's good enough for on-screen viewing or small prints. It has a lot of functions, a lot of zoom, the battery life is amazing (I also like the on-screen minute-by-minute countdown of battery life), extreme macro, and dual format (1.44 floppy and memorys stick). Too bad it was grossly overpriced, even at the time I bought it. And I really don't use the floppy drive much. And the camera is huge. h:

Here's more specs.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec.../sony_fd92.asp
Yah true true, the battery life is good.

When I mean bad interface, I mean I have to scroll to the play function just to see more than one picture and often when I do that, the lenses thingy goes in, then back out when I revert back to photo mode. I think that's just bad for the camera because it moves so often. Mine is making weird noises.

Do you get a problem where after taking a picture, a red light flashes? It's kind of annoying for me because that short 5-6 sec delay prevents me from taking multi-shots.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:00 PM
b00gers

Originally posted by evolution

Do you get a problem where after taking a picture, a red light flashes? It's kind of annoying for me because that short 5-6 sec delay prevents me from taking multi-shots.
thats probably from the camera writing onto the media. mines takes a while too. i need a card with a faster speed. but im limited to very little because i use smart media.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:02 PM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

Originally posted by WiLL
thats probably from the camera writing onto the media. mines takes a while too. i need a card with a faster speed. but im limited to very little because i use smart media.
Oh. Would formatting the car help? I never got that problem before...it just happened recently.