Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Chirac proposes ban on wearing religious symbols in public schools, hospitals

Old 12-17-2003, 01:11 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirac proposes ban on wearing religious symbols in public schools, hospitals

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe...ves/index.html

Essentially:

""I feel that wearing any kind of symbol that ostensibly shows faith, I feel that that is something that should not be allowed in schools and colleges.

If we are talking about a star of David, the hand of Fatima or a small cross, those are acceptable, but when it's very obvious, in other words, when if they are worn people can immediately see what religious faith they belong to, that should not be accepted.
Secularity is one of the republic's great achievements... It plays a crucial role in social harmony and national cohesion. We must not allow it to be weakened."

Now I've definitely been known to say that the US guarantees us freedom from religion just as much as it guarantees us free exercise of religion as long as the state doesn't sponsor any of it. However I feel like this ban would impose on the individual liberty of free practice of religion by not allowing people to show thier faith. Now maybe if this were applying to municipal workers only then it would be one thing, but this has to do with the students and patients themselves.

So um, let the French bashing begin!
Old 12-17-2003, 02:00 PM
sxecrow
Banned

no comment; religion = teh suck :down:
Old 12-17-2003, 02:04 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Chirac does not have the balls to go to war but he does to take the headress off little girls.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:25 PM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

Chirac is out of his mind. If he really wants a free society for France, he cannot eliminate freedom of expression and freedom of religion.

By the way, French Fries were invented in Belgium.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:33 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally posted by sxecrow
no comment; religion = teh suck :down:
But just because you don't like it does that mean others should not be allowed to?

Personally I'm firmly against any government sponsoring religion in any form. At the same time I feel that private citizens should be allowed free practice of religion as long as they don't impose their beliefs upon others.

Of course, some people say the same thing when they try to get prayer back into schools. The difference in my mind at least is that having a designated prayer time would be a state sponsorship of the active practicing of religion by making time for it in the schedule; whereas allowing students to passively observe their religion by wearing symbolic items doesn't require the state to make any resources available to allow it to go on.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:20 PM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

I should be allowed to wear what I want, when and where I want.

If someone is wearing a nasty shirt, a large amount of people will feel the shirt is offensive, and out of that group I'm sure some will show their outrage to the person wearing the shirt, either verbally or physically. Now if not a lot of people are getting upset about the shirt other than me, sounds like a personal problem.

Am I making any sense?
-----
Old 12-28-2003, 08:31 AM
George Knighton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So um, let the French bashing begin!
Hmmm.

Well, I don't want to bash them, but I can't help feeling there's something in the story that we're not getting in this thread.

Just what kinds of symbols have proved to be a problem in France?

I can imagine some huge problems.

An Indian embassy employee who is a Brahman, and wears traditional garb and has a mark on his forehead.

A British member of the House of Lords who is a Sikh and therefore always wears his blue turban.

What kinds of symbols have caused this problem for the French?
Old 12-28-2003, 12:02 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

The French for whatever reason have made a big issue out of Muslim women wearing head scarves. So to get rid of the scarves they're making a ban across the board so as not to be perceived as targeting the scarves.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:44 PM
George Knighton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MrFatbooty The French for whatever reason have made a big issue out of Muslim women wearing head scarves. So to get rid of the scarves they're making a ban across the board so as not to be perceived as targeting the scarves.
Are you serious? This is about scarves?
Old 12-28-2003, 01:29 PM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/26/in...partner=GOOGLE

France had unrestricted immigration for a number of years. A lot of people immigrated and the native French got a little xenophobic.

Its ironic that the French gave us the Statue of Liberty that bears a plaque reading "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free." Or maybe its just sad.