Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Surround Sound

Old 12-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Skelly_GSR
RB does men

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surround Sound

im looking for a good setup for a good dvd player plus like 6 speaker combo for my bedroom....dont want to spend too much really. My friend works at best buy so i will be getting it from there...any idea's guys.......tony?
Old 12-11-2003, 10:49 PM
Jack the Ripper
Banned

walmart has a GREAT system for $50

here it is

Includes 5 satellite speakers plus subwoofer
Audio inputs for DVD, CD and gaming systems
Computer compatible: take your gaming experience to the next level with 5.1 surround sound!
Hookup cable included so you can jump right into the action
Front panel LED indicators
Easy-to-use color-coded speaker setup system
Old 12-11-2003, 10:50 PM
Black2KGSR

how much are you willing to spend?
The Sony Dream System sounds great...but last I checked it was ~$600
Old 12-11-2003, 10:51 PM
Skelly_GSR
RB does men

Originally posted by Black2000GSR
how much are you willing to spend?
The Sony Dream System sounds great...but last I checked it was ~$600
pff not that much....mabey like 200-300 after best buy "hookup"
Im poor and in college
Old 12-11-2003, 10:55 PM
Jack the Ripper
Banned

Originally posted by Skelly_GSR
Im poor and in college

See my above post. :thumbup: Its really a nice system.

Heard it in the store sounds GREAT. All you really need for a small room.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:57 PM
Black2KGSR

you already have a DVD player?

With DVD
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03010

Without DVD
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03010

Don't buy a cheap ass $50 system.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:19 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Those little ass sattelite speakers and mini powered subs that come with those home theater systems always suck royal donkey testicular residue. Stay far, far away. They are trash and not worthy to be listened to. The only company that manages to make the concept work alright is Bose and you ain't buying that stuff for cheap and can produce better results for less money.

In a bedroom it's very unlikely that you will be able to get good speaker placement so there's really no benefit from surround sound. You will get much better results using a nice set of bookshelf speakers that can produce the full range of sound. Combine that with a decent DVD player and receiver and you're set.

The speakers are the most important part of the setup, so if you're gonna scrimp then go a little cheaper on the a/v components.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:29 AM
Jack the Ripper
Banned

Originally posted by Black2000GSR
Don't buy a cheap ass $50 system.

Why not????

Just as good as the expensive sh*t at best buy.

Originally posted by MrFatbooty
Those little ass sattelite speakers and mini powered subs that come with those home theater systems always suck royal donkey testicular residue. Stay far, far away. They are trash and not worthy to be listened to. The only company that manages to make the concept work alright is Bose and you ain't buying that stuff for cheap and can produce better results for less money.

Originally posted by Jack the Ripper
Heard it in the store sounds GREAT.

The room that Wal-Mart has (kinda like the room that best buy has their sh*t set up in) is aboutthe size of the adverage living room and this system sounds just as good as the $200-$600 systems.

Buy whatever the fawk you want to buy. Its your money to waste.

There is always something new coming out htat starts out cheap and few years later it gets more expensive when its the top seller.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:36 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

The reason it's cheap is because it sucks. Look, for something to sound good you need to have a quality woofer in a large enough box, a quality tweeter, and a quality crossover that can make the two work together properly. These all-in-one systems with their dinky little speakers use piece of shit full range drivers that are limited in what frequencies they can reproduce and what volume level they can play at. Sure it might have sounded good to you at the in store demo but I can say from my vast experience with playing with stereo equipment that these full range sattelite speakers are crap. Plus the subs they include are a joke. There's little point in being surrounded by sound if all of the sound is shit.

You don't have to spend a bunch of money to get a quality pair of bookshelf speakers with some good components that will sound nice when given a decent signal to work with. The cheap subs and surround systems sound like shit so you might as well get something simpler that is actually quality stuff.

In my living room I personally have some kinda spiffy Infinity bookshelf speakers on stands and mid-level Sony components. Good speakers placed properly and a quality signal make my movies sound freakin awesome. I get plenty of bass out of the speakers and the sound field is plenty wide even if it's not coming from behind me. There's nowhere good to put the surround speakers in my living room anyway.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:37 AM
Black2KGSR

Originally posted by MrFatbooty

:no:
you'd be surprised at how great those little speakers sound on the Sony and Yamaha systems.
Of course not as good as some nice bookshelf speaker, but they do sound great nonetheless. Plus, since they're so small, it'll be easier to get good speaker placement.