Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Bush Admin uses law from 1872 to prosecute Greenpeace...

Old 11-15-2003, 01:45 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bush Admin uses law from 1872 to prosecute Greenpeace...

http://www.msnbc.com/news/992161.asp?0dm=N14PN

I though this was interesting... do you think the current administration is really grasping so hard as to draw up a law from 1872 to attack such a grassroots organization...

I mean, I don't always approve of Greenpeace's tactics, but don't you think that this attack, which could remove Greenpeace's tax-exempt status (Which would be a deathblow for such an institution), is something that is wholly un-American? I mean, seriously attacking an organization that organizes civil disobedience... This attack stinks of partisan goals...
Old 11-15-2003, 01:46 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahahahaha :lmfao:

grasping......straw.........
Old 11-15-2003, 01:53 PM
LiLRexen

What gave Greenpeace the right to board the ship in the first place? They are lucky someone didn't pull an obscure law about pirating out of their a$$ to peg those tree hugging, otter scrubbing, granola ba$tard$ with.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:05 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally posted by LiLRexen
What gave Greenpeace the right to board the ship in the first place? They are lucky someone didn't pull an obscure law about pirating out of their a$$ to peg those tree hugging, otter scrubbing, granola ba$tard$ with.
No one did... and that's why it's called civil disobedience... You break a law in a civil way, nonviolently, and you suffer the consequences... this is not unusual... Ghandi and MLK Jr. have also both suggested this tactic you know...

BUT the itch in this whole mess is that, for the first time, the Bush administration is going beyond attacking the citizens who protested, and is attempting to claim that Greenpeace conspired to board the ship to disrupt it's shipping... but isn't using the "Tresspassing on private property", but is instead using a law from the 1870's that was designed to keep whore house owners from bringing prostates onboard and get the sailors abandon ship and to come to their brothels... The last time this law was used was in 1890 BTW...

The trick is that this law's reach allows the government to attack the business, not the individuals, and thus attack greenpeace directly in an attempt to seriously harm them...

And judging by your response, you have no idea what you're talking about... If it wasn't for Greenpeace, I bet we wouldn't have any natural forests left at this point....
Old 11-15-2003, 02:15 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well after reading the entire article and what not here is my conclusion...

The Bush administration when he took office had made historical budget cuts for all environmental concerns...Bush also holds oil interest in various locations....he has pockets filled with ant environmental lobbyists.

So for his admin to bring up some obscure law such as this isn't really all that shocking.

I am not a big tree hugger but Greenpeace has done more good than bad for the earth and our environment...a little extremem at times but hey..its what it takes sometimes.

Yes try them for civil disobedience or trespass but this obscure law is going to be and yet another nail in the Bush re-election coffin.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:36 PM
Taiwanze7

WTF.... I've never really cared for green peace, but this is a strong-arm tactic against our first amendment right.... if it wasn't for civil disobedience movement.. we'd still honor segragation
Old 11-15-2003, 02:36 PM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ot:

imo, greenpeace should concentrate more on polution and natural resources than endangered species. maybe they would get more supporters that way :dunno:

back on topic: bush is acting like a tyrant by doing things like this. not that i dont support him in general tho
Old 11-15-2003, 02:41 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

The government works and does some pretty fucked up shit.

However, day in and day out... I really don't have to worry about what they do. I don't see them, I don't hear from them, I rarely ever see them change anything that directly effects me. Sooo, what do I care? I don't.

That is all.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:46 PM
LiLRexen

I read the article as well. Just because the media wants to cry foul and spout out one interpretation of a law or why it was created doesn't mean that's the only use for it. Granted, every article I managed to dredge up about the incident had only bits and pieces of the whole, none seem to actually mention the name of the law. Did you know that while the two members were boarding the ship the rest of the of group were blocking off the Coast Guard? So I am supposed to believe that all these members of Greenpeace accidentally met up while enjoying an afternoon of boating in a shipping lane and when two of them, drunk and unruly, began to illegally board a ship with a banner that just happened to float by, then the rest of them went into a panic and their boats drifted to the front of a cargo vessel, blocking off the Coast Guard from doing it's duty?
They premeditated this prank, excecuted illegal acts and also put the lives of themselves and others, including U.S. military in danger. My god, that would be a perfect cover for terrorist activities. "Hey Greenpeace, my name is Osama bin La....Bob Smith. There's going to be mohogany (seal fur, elephant tusks, oil drenched otters) on this ship. Please go attract the attention of the authorities while my minions smuggle in WMD..I mean, go protest this so that people will be aware of what a miserable capitalist pig-dog Bush is."
Old 11-15-2003, 03:15 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by LiLRexen
I read the article as well. Just because the media wants to cry foul and spout out one interpretation of a law or why it was created doesn't mean that's the only use for it. Granted, every article I managed to dredge up about the incident had only bits and pieces of the whole, none seem to actually mention the name of the law. Did you know that while the two members were boarding the ship the rest of the of group were blocking off the Coast Guard? So I am supposed to believe that all these members of Greenpeace accidentally met up while enjoying an afternoon of boating in a shipping lane and when two of them, drunk and unruly, began to illegally board a ship with a banner that just happened to float by, then the rest of them went into a panic and their boats drifted to the front of a cargo vessel, blocking off the Coast Guard from doing it's duty?
They premeditated this prank, excecuted illegal acts and also put the lives of themselves and others, including U.S. military in danger. My god, that would be a perfect cover for terrorist activities. "Hey Greenpeace, my name is Osama bin La....Bob Smith. There's going to be mohogany (seal fur, elephant tusks, oil drenched otters) on this ship. Please go attract the attention of the authorities while my minions smuggle in WMD..I mean, go protest this so that people will be aware of what a miserable capitalist pig-dog Bush is."
:werd: finally some common sense on this board