Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

REVIEW OF Final Fantasy XI for the PC Console

Old 11-15-2003, 04:20 AM
kid018
In the depths of my mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REVIEW OF Final Fantasy XI for the PC Console

Alright fellas..this is gonna be long and tedious so bare with me. I am kinda scattered-brained so there will be some ideas that will be wierd....so bare with me...HERE WE GO!!!!

First off: some acryonms that i will be using.
Acryonms - Actual Words
FFXI - Final Fantasy XI
MMORPG - Mass Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game
PO - PlayOnline

Now..for the review. FFXI is a MMORPG much like Everquest. For those not intune with computer games, it means that you can play ths game online with other players and you control a single character. You basically run around, kiling things, gainin experience and all around have a online life in the FFXI world. Some things new or cool to FFXI are the abilities to do multiple tasks and "skills". If you get bored of fighting or think fighting is getting drab, try your hand at other things such as woodworking, alchemy, blacksmithing, goldsmithing, cooking, or gardening. Yes, your character can pretty much learn anything that you can learn in real life. Almost every aspect of real life is portrayed in FFXI, cept maybe having sex0rs and that stuff. These "skills" intertwine with each other and make gaming all that more addictive.
Let me tell you right now, this game is addicting. More so than Counterstrike. More than Starcraft. I used to never play this MMORPG...heck, i never played RPGs, i was all first-person shoorter or command an army. Now, i'm all about builidng up my character and so on.
Back to skills. With FFXI, you can choose your "job". Your job is basically what kinda character you are going to be. You can choose to be a:
- Warrior (WAR)
- Black/White/Red Mage (BLM/WHM/RDM)
- Thief (THF)
- Monk (MNK).
These are your main jobs for the first 20 levels. Beyond that, you can acquire new jobs. the new jobs are:
- Ninja (NIN)
- Samurai (SAM)
- Summoner (SMN)
- Dark Knight (DRK)
- Paladin (PLD)
- Beastmaster (BST)
- Bard (BRD)
- Rangers (RNG)
You have a choice of 2 jobs but keep in mind. The new jobs take a bit of time to achieve.
Moving on...Like i said, this game is addicting. I can't stress that enough. The even give you a warning before you start each game...basically, it tells you that the game IS fun but dont forget about your real life too....Don't forget friends, family, school and work.....
Overall gameplay is easy ONCE you get the hang of it. Most of the commands are too confusing and you can pretty much do most stuff with or without the mouse. I use both the mouse and keyboard to give me a Counterstrike-like feel to the game.
Like Everquest, this game costs money to run. It's about 12.95 a month but you get the first month free. It's a lil step but so is going out and buying video games and/or dvds each week. Nuff said...
This game has a lot to offer. Most of the people playing right now are noobs and yes, they are all american. Japan released theirs a while ago, so a lot of hte high level characters are japanese. Hope you know japanese cuz these guy help out A LOT.
I've been playing for about a week and a half. My character is a level 18 RDM (basically a cross between a mage and warrior). I've been playing about 5-6 hours each day (i don't have work but i do have school). What spare time, and i do mean SPARE time, goes to FFXI.
Oh, one important thing i forgot. There are different servers for FFXI. Once you create a character...its' stuck. you can't move from server to server. So if you and your friends want one server, either keep creating characters till you are all on the same server or get what is called Worldpass. These have to be purchased in-game, so this is no REAL cost...just the fake money they use in game.
I give this game 10/10. I think this could very well be game of the year. Graphics are cool and there are ways to go beyond the software specific graphics. Gameplay is great....a lot to do in FFXI, and I do mean A LOT.
Here is a good website that i frequent to get tips/tricks/help:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com
Go there....learn...play...

I hope this review helps....there is too much in the game to describe all in one post......if you have any questions....feel free to ask here....laterz

-----Derrick
Old 11-15-2003, 11:31 AM
jlammy
w00t

Um....I think the level to get the advance job is at 30

Aye, what server are you on man?

Team B.O.B.™ - Ballaz on a Budget

R.I.P Huan Vo 11-19-2008
Old 11-15-2003, 11:46 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Screenshots please...what good is a review if you don't have screenshots
Old 11-15-2003, 11:47 AM
jlammy
w00t

Originally posted by Nightshade
Screenshots please...what good is a review if you don't have screenshots

Dude.....I told you I will get it soon

R.I.P Huan Vo 11-19-2008
Old 11-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally posted by jlammy
Dude.....I told you I will get it soon
Know dammit :rant:

Old 11-15-2003, 12:17 PM
jlammy
w00t

Know dammit :rant:

Know what?

OOHHH....you mean NOW :fawk:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ffxi.jpg (120.8 KB, 128 views)

R.I.P Huan Vo 11-19-2008
Old 11-15-2003, 12:18 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

mmmm that is pretty
Old 11-15-2003, 12:20 PM
jlammy
w00t

Yeah....

funny thing is....my dumbass was running it on the default video settings. It looked ok...but it looked like ass when I compared it with my other games. I finally took the time to go into the game settings and changed the video display.....POOF....HUGE difference.

R.I.P Huan Vo 11-19-2008
Old 11-15-2003, 12:35 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally posted by jlammy
Yeah....

funny thing is....my dumbass was running it on the default video settings. It looked ok...but it looked like ass when I compared it with my other games. I finally took the time to go into the game settings and changed the video display.....POOF....HUGE difference.
Lol I have done that more than a few times as well....makes you kinda hate thegame then after you fix it, its like a whole new game.

This is what I was talking about last night though because the companies usually give real flashy shots that don't include any actual gameplay shots...the screenshots from actual players hold a lot more weight with me
Old 11-15-2003, 12:50 PM
jlammy
w00t

Lol I have done that more than a few times as well....makes you kinda hate thegame then after you fix it, its like a whole new game.

This is what I was talking about last night though because the companies usually give real flashy shots that don't include any actual gameplay shots...the screenshots from actual players hold a lot more weight with me

Well, that's why I was a bit upset at first when I played it and looked at the box....I was like...dude!!!! My machine is way over the minimum requirements. How come it looks like ass? Then I realized that I was the ass who didn't set the correct video settings....LOL

R.I.P Huan Vo 11-19-2008