Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Hot Water Heater

Old 12-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Skelly_GSR
RB does men

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Water Heater

Currently in the process of getting my townhouse ready to sell. The house has been relatively vacant for the past year. Gas/Water/Electric had very little use.

Went over there this weekend and turned the gas and water on. Everything is working fine but the water heater is acting up. It's newer and had zero issues since I owned the house.

I lit the pilot and the main was working fine. Temp setpoint is dead nuts in the middle between warm and hot.

As soon as I was getting ready to leave I heard running water in the basement. Pressure relief popped and water was spraying everywhere. Of course the main drain was clogged for some reason so I quickly turned the water supply off.

Ran upstairs to get the plunger and spilled a bunch of diaharria mucus on the floor from the plunger. I was pissed. Plunged the main drain and got that fixed.

So whats the deal? I doubt there is an issued with the PRV, but I may take it apart to see if its clogged. Please note there is no expansion tank.

My ideas:
-Tons of air in the lines, i never fully bled the lines to the faucets and toilets.
-Any air inside the HWT?

Halp.

Last edited by Skelly_GSR; 12-31-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Civic2Scooby

sounds like you have some serious air in the lines. Before you fire that fucker back up open up everything in the house on full blast. Are you city or well? If you are on city than I highly doubt it is any build up or gunk in the pressure relief valve.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Skelly_GSR
RB does men

There was hella air in the lines, but I have come to the conclusion that there's an issue with the PRV.

I think the seal may be dryrotted or something.

I opened the supply to the water heater and the PRV started leaking slowly again. The water wasn't even warm.

It's either the PRV or the house supply regulator. I have not checked the water pressure to see if the regulator failed.

I picked up a PRV today. Will test out tomorrow.

-Kevin
Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 PM
dubcac
I

Skellys hot water heater chills
Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 AM
Skelly_GSR
RB does men

lulz