Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

SaviouR's review of Kill Bill Volume I ....................Spoilers

Old 10-10-2003, 10:32 PM
SaviouR
The Unknown One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SaviouR's review of Kill Bill Volume I

Let me tell you, a fan of Quentin Tarantino flicks ever sinced I watched Pulp Fiction, that this time around we all got the royal screwjob, courtesy of the dickheads at Miramax. It is more than obvious that Miramax just wants to cash in on his movie, because of the fact that they have not had a bona fide hit for quite some time. They can bring over all of the foreign movies they want, chop it up and it will still not go well. If they had to split the movie, they would of at least let Quentin Tarantino make an ending of Kill Bill Volume I, in lack of better wording, shitty. When one makes a movie with a sequel for sure, they must be like surgeons and carve it out with much precision. In this case, it was a butcher's blade; too many loose ends...

The main problem with Kill Bill Volume I is, as I stated, the splitting of the movie that causes one too many loose ends. When you watch any other movies that require several parts, it is told in a fashion of chapters, like the Star Wars series, the Godfather series, The Lord of the Ring series, etc. The ending in this one is incomplete, and insulting to any viewer of film. Go send hate mail for Miramax for this bullshit.

If you do not know, Kill Bill Volume I is a straight forward revenge flick that includes everything Quentin Tarantino loves; martial arts that defy the laws of gravity (you can thank Yuen Wo-Ping and his masterful skill in doing so) and so much blood and gore that it will probably remind you of another insanely gory movie (mine was Saving Private Ryan). The main character known as "The Bride" a.k.a Black Mamba, who is played by Uma Thurman. On her wedding day, Bill sends out his D.i.V.A.S. (Deadly Viper Assassination Squad) to kill everybody in that wedding. Her husband-to-be was murdered, "The Bride" was brutalized and then shot in the head, and her unborn child was stolen from her. The people responsible for this act was Bill (David Carradine) and the D.i.V.A.S.. O-Ren Ishii a.k.a Cottonmouth is played by Lucy Liu, Vernita Green a.k.a Copperhead is played by Vivica A. Fox, Elle Driver a.k.a California Highway Snake is played by Daryl Hannah, and Budd a.k.a Sidewinder is played by Michael Madsen "The Bride" goes after Copperhead and Cottonmouth first, leaving the other three for Kill Bill Volume II.

Of course, seeing how Yuen Wo-Ping is in charge of the action sequences, they are incredible, and I dare say more impressive than the ones in The Matrix Reloaded. Quentin Tarantino did not use any CGI (he himself believes that CGI will ruin Hollywood) and only uses hidden wires. He pays many homages to many things that influnced him, like Sonny Chiba, H.K. action flicks, anime, etc.

One thing missing from the usual Quentin Tarantino movie is the crisp and intelligent dialogue, which was a downer for me. The other Quentin Tarantino traits, like cultural jokes (anybody remember the little chat Vincent Vega and Jules Winfield had in the car in the beginning of Pulp Fiction). Quentin Tarantino still uses the style of not showing the events in chronological order. At times it does not make sense, but hopefully it is cleared up in Kill Bill Volume II.

As for the acting, it was decent. I was worried about his cast selections (besides Sonny Chiba) because the actours and actresses were all sub-par. Uma Thurman's "The Bride" is believable, but not compelling. Lucy Liu's acting was decent, and probably her best work, although that is not saying much for her. Vivica A. Fox damn near feels like a token Black person. Sonny Chiba, of course, probably gave the best performance in the movie as Hattori Hanzo.

Bear in mind that movies told in parts (as in series) are rather hard to grade, because we are only being told a piece of the story at a time. Until the sequel comes out, I cannot give a "true" rating until I watch it. You can thank Miramax for doing this.

SaviouR's grade on Kill Bill Volume I: Three out of four stars
Old 10-10-2003, 10:34 PM
kento

your reviews always suck. kill bill v.1 was awsome :thumbup:
Old 10-10-2003, 11:02 PM
DakarM

I agree with Savior. the movie was horrible in my opinion. Wayyy too much scenes with overly done violence.

and the use of the 70's sound effects/music i feel hurt the movie.

i give it 2/4stars with hopes that once the second movie is released Q.T. release a directors cut full length version...
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:12 PM
More&Faster

no. it was an awesome movie. you need to watch the movie again or something, saviouR. if you didnt see cultural jokes in that, you are a fool. you forgot to mention Bruce Lee as a major influence. im sure someone older than myself could shed some light on some of the weirdness in the movie. anyways, i thoroughly enjoyed it, and i think anyone who didnt enjoy it is thinking too hard. despite its loose ends, it was not incomplete. :fawk:
Old 10-10-2003, 11:33 PM
Toyz51

I just got done watching it and I thought it was an excellent movie. It had the typical witty conversations that Q.T. is known for. The fighting was a bit unreal, but by today's standards, not too bad. The use of blood spraying all over was kind of unecessary, but was to give the movie a more animated effect which made the Matrix like fighting more justifiable. All and all, I would give it 9 out of 10 stars. I would almost give it 10 stars, but I have to let the novelty of the movie wear off before I can give a 10.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:49 AM
aux
More Black on Black Crime

it was off the heezy fo sheezy. when is vol. 2 coming out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2003, 01:54 AM
aux

Feb
Old 10-11-2003, 02:03 AM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

Here's a spoiler! You will die alone!
Old 10-11-2003, 02:15 AM
aux

i dont think so. i hope not. my mom says im handsome. :happysad:
Old 10-11-2003, 03:35 AM
mayonaise

you need to watch some typical japanese samurai movies.. the excessive and exaggerated blood was "inspired" by those. in those types of movies, as well as in a lot of anime, when a person gets sliced or gets a limb hacked off, they spurt blood like a geyser. completely unrealistic, dramatic as hell, and overdone. but thats why tarantino used it. he was trying to incorporate these influences. in this sense, most people would consider if comedic - much of the violence did seem comical.

i'm not sure why you think the story was confusing, jumping back and forth between time periods. it was pretty obvious when they put "four years earlier" or "four years later" in big words on the screen. flashbacks didn't last very long either. either 'the bride' was pregnant and in a wedding dress, or they were clearly in the same old rustic wedding chapel that was portrayed as the scene of the massacre in the beginning of the movie.

two things i didn't like about the movie. the anime part... he could have picked a better anime artist, or to the artist's credit, tarantino could have asked them to do a different style of animation. it didn't seem like anime - too rough, not refined at all.

and uma thurman's japanese was pretty bad. at times it was okay, but overall :barf:

anyways, thats all. i loved the movie. probably the best movie i've seen in a long time, and i can't wait for vol. II.