Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Tragedy in Newtown, CT vs. Gun Control

Old 12-17-2012, 02:52 PM
hitman619
SDSU Basketball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tragedy in Newtown, CT vs. Gun Control

Would gun control have prevented this tragedy?
discuss
Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

do we need another thread about guns? you know how every person is going to respond already.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:14 PM
LABARINTH
Better Than Canada!

Not sure how gun control would have prevented this. All the guns were owned legally. Unless you completely outlaw guns (which would never happen and I do not support)
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 PM
dubcac
I

They were owned legally by his mother, not by him. All these people saying we need stricter mental health checks when people purchase guns...that's a moot point in this case. Outlawing guns completely...criminals would still get them. I'd like to see the numbers on the percentage of crimes committed with a firearm legally vs illegally obtained. In this case, they were illegally obtained. I read an article today regarding the Colorado theater shooting, and that the theater he went to was the only one in the area that didn't allow legal concealed carry permit holders to bring a gun onto the property. This is not the only instance of a massacre shooting to happen at the one place where CCW was prohibited by the property owner.

And just for good measure:

Old 12-17-2012, 04:08 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dubcac
I'd like to see the numbers on the percentage of crimes committed with a firearm legally vs illegally obtained.
This is also something I would like to see.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:32 PM
fathergoat
:3

the number is pretty low but it's been a long time since I've bothered researching. I do remember that the last time I looked it up more children died of drowning in every state than gunfire. The CDC has a database of death statistics available somewhere. It was pretty enlightening to actually see how few people died from guns in the US(you could not separate homicide, suicide, accidental).
Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 PM
hitman619
SDSU Basketball

Originally Posted by k3ifers
do we need another thread about guns? you know how every person is going to respond already.
No keith i don't :lmao:

They were owned legally by his mother, not by him. All these people saying we need stricter mental health checks when people purchase guns...that's a moot point in this case.
How So?
From what i read so far his Mom was a little off also!
Maybe a mental background check catches that:dunno:

Originally Posted by fathergoat
the number is pretty low but it's been a long time since I've bothered researching. I do remember that the last time I looked it up more children died of drowning in every state than gunfire. The CDC has a database of death statistics available somewhere. It was pretty enlightening to actually see how few people died from guns in the US(you could not separate homicide, suicide, accidental).
agree^^^
I would bet more kids die from car accidents (riding with their own parents) then guns.

The liberal media and politicians are already starting the anti gun campaign:facepalm:

Last edited by hitman619; 12-17-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:20 PM
b00gers

They were owned legally by his mother, not by him. In this case, they were illegally obtained.
If they lived together and she stored them in the house, I wouldnt argue that it was illegally obtained. Saying that skews data, IMO. Sure, if he bought them off the streets and the serials were scratched off, then yes. But his mom bought them and had them in the house.

And these gun control arguments are old and tired. There is nothing new that is going to come from them. Also, I wish the TV would shut the fuck up about it.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b00gers
If they lived together and she stored them in the house, I wouldnt argue that it was illegally obtained. Saying that skews data, IMO. Sure, if he bought them off the streets and the serials were scratched off, then yes. But his mom bought them and had them in the house.

And these gun control arguments are old and tired. There is nothing new that is going to come from them. Also, I wish the TV would shut the fuck up about it.
Umm, turn off the tv :idea:
Old 12-17-2012, 05:57 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by Nightshade
Umm, turn off the tv :idea:
I gotta watch weather and traffic reports in the morning :run: