Notices

PCV valve on 96 EX

Old 06-09-2003, 12:48 PM
maestro5050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV valve on 96 EX

Ok guys, I looked all over the fuggin place. Where the hell is the thing? I checked my manual and called 2 Honda dealerships and none of them were able to help me locate the damn thing. Either I am blind (quite possible) or it is in a really odd spot. All I wanted to do is check it to complete my 60K maintenence job.

BTW I am still running the D16Y8. I have basic bolt ons, but nothing special. Unless it was removed when we put my CAI on ages ago, I am stumped.

On a side note, that Seafoam stuff (read about it in other posts) is the bomb. I had never really flushed the carbon out of my system before. 10cc in each spark plug well, half a can in the gas tank, and some generous spraying directly into the throttle body worked like a charm. Hell it worked too good. I was kicking so much crap out my exhaust that someone called the cops to report a potential house fire. Now I am getting a much smoother idle and rev. No more sticky gas pedal.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:04 PM
ManTiS
NinJA

Default Re: PCV valve on 96 EX

I've always liked Sea Foam.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:52 PM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

its right above your oil filter, there will be a rubber hose connected to it running up through the intake mani, just follow the hose. easier to get to if you have access to a lift
Old 06-10-2003, 10:24 PM
CPL

Question?? In the maintenance schedule , Does it say replace or inspect the PCV? I have a 98 EX and when I went to the honda dealer to buy a PCV valve , the parts guy kinda went anal saying it said to inspect it and that he only carrys them from up to 1991 cause they really dont fail. I dunno..... I still have my original one in there and I have 126,000 miles.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:38 PM
maestro5050

Thanks for the reply NeverBX. I haven't had a chance to look for it yet, but that should help me a ton.

CPL the maintenence says to inspect it and replace it if necessary. When you take it off, shake it. There should be a nice solid rattle to it. So long as it rattles well, it is ok. But since you have it off, you might as well replace it. The part is like three bucks at Auto Zone.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:41 PM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

you can also clean it while you have it off, use some carb cleaner.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:32 AM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Sea Foam huh? Why haven't I heard of it ....more info h:.

duck squad member #00003
Old 06-11-2003, 01:42 AM
maestro5050

Aye Seafoam. You can buy it at Napa for sure. I don't know who else carries it, but I know that the Auto Zone and Pep Boys chains in the Dallas area don't carry it.

The stuff comes in a 16oz. can and is blueish green in color. All of the Seafoam products carry the Auto Marine label on them. Here is a pic of the can you will need to look for:

Note: The image is borrowed from a Tripod webpage, so it may not work.

They also make a product called "Deep Creep" which is the same as the above item, only it is in a spray can. I didn't see these for sale here and just used a spray bottle to get it into my throttle body.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:42 AM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

hmmmm. seafoam. maybe i should use that too. well gotta check out napa tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:11 AM
maestro5050

Here's some threads that were discussing it:

Injector cleaner - this stuff is the best!!!

Throttle Body Cleaning

Tune-up questions.................

Just had throttle body cleaned...

It looks like 3 of them were on the Accord boards and one in Engine Tech. Perhaps that's why no one on the Civic board knows about the stuff. My car runs hella better after treating it. It is most deffinately on my list of advisable products that I swear to. Only one other product do I swear by, and that's Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer:

I always substitute a quart of that stuff in place of one of the quarts of oil. The engine runs GREAT with it.