Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just had throttle body cleaned...

Old 04-25-2003, 01:35 AM
Riva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had throttle body cleaned...

I always knew something was up whenever I did a cold start on my Accord and the gas pedal would stick a bit. So I searched some forums and found out that most people clean out their throttle bodies and this usually solves the sticky gas pedal problem. Since I don't really have a lot of experience or know-how with my engine, I took my car to a NAPA service center nearby where I live and let the mechanic do it. I was so relieved that I did that because he had to take off my CAI and he was complaining how difficult it was to take it off and he didn't want to take off my bumper but eventually he got it apart. Then he used some 3M Throttle and Engine Cleaner and a bristle brush and scrubbed the inside of the throttle opening. After that I think he put some Seafoam inside a spray bottle and sprayed the inside of the throttle body and revved the engine at the same time for a while and all this carbon and crap came out of my exhaust pipe. Then he sprayed some water to help flush out any leftover carbon inside the throttle body because the water will just steam off quickly and won't hurt anything. Afterwards, he poured about 1/4 can of Seafoam into my gas tank and that was it. That was probably the best mechanic labor that I spent on my car and he was really cool about explaining everything to me. :thumbup:
Old 04-25-2003, 03:52 AM
Accord1278

I'm having similar problems with my throttle sticking here and there. Hmmm maybe I'll get mine done too, probably do it myself. How long did it take and how much did they charge to clean out the throttle body?
Old 04-25-2003, 04:45 AM
Riva

Hey Accord1278,

It took the mechanics a little while because they had to take off my air filter on the CAI w/out taking the bumper off, which I thought was incredibly tough but they somehow did it. The actual throttle body cleaning process however probably took only about 30 minutes. The SeaFoam costs about $9.95 at NAPA Auto Parts but I doubt that you'll actually use the entire can. Everything came out to about $80.10 so if you can do it yourself, then you can safe about $70. Next time I'll try to do it myself. It is recommended for all fuel injected cars to clean the throttle body about once a year. Funny how Honda never does this...