Notices

Advice: What would you do??

Old 04-01-2003, 05:46 PM
JonHsiung
u c l a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice: What would you do??

I'm really getting tired of these things happening to me (just put on cf hood too). Anyway, I was driving Friday and while pulling out of a parking lot and then pulling forward, I was backed up into by an elderly man (50's?) in his Benz. Right then, I stop completely and come out with my digital camera and started taking pictures as he pulls back into his spot (you know when you buy something new you can't let go of it?)...

So he tells me to get two quotes and in a rush wouldn't give me his information and he just left, telling me that he owns the local pharmacy. Since I can't do much more, I took down his plate and left. The next day, I got two quotes ($1544, $1100) and took it to his store. It really does turn out that he owns the pharmacy, but he's rather cheap. He first looks at both quotes, and then says they're both WAY too high and that he won't pay. He wants me to take my car to some place where my car won't be secure and they're just going to patch up the spot rather than fix it correctly, so it'll save him money.

So what can I do about this? I have his name, his work number, and nothing else. Should I just claim insurance on him and get his info? I don't want to be a jackass, but I really want my car fixed RIGHT, especially how the looks of my car is really important to me. It's 100% his fault and I have the pictures and a witness (passenger) to prove it. He's really assertive and a bit cranky. I'm 19 yrs old and have 21st century insurance with full coverage.

Any recommendations? Do I have the right to have (by law) his information if he refuses to give it to me? Anyway, here's some pics...it's really expensive because it's on the rear quarter panel piece and they have to paint the whole damn thing. It doesn't seem so bad because he hit my newly (6-step) waxed car and pretty much has little paint damage.

Old 04-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Go-N-Low

Get the insurance invlvoed......or take him to court, but then they are going to ask about insurance......Give him the option either he gives you the money upfront for a shop you want to take it to or call the insurance companuy......
Old 04-01-2003, 05:58 PM
AccordCutie

I think by law, you have to get his name, address, phone, and insurance info, and copy his plate down too. If you can do that, claim it against his insurance, and you don't have to go to yours. That's what I did, and I got my money to fix my bumper from the other person's insurance.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:40 PM
JERZY-STYLZ

you have his name, plates and address...well at least his business one....you can still file a police report...this way you can get his insurace company involved. Tell them the truth...you were being nice and was willing to settle the claim without involving the insurance but the guy is unwilling to pay what a ligit body shop quoted to be the amount needed to repair the damages! The cops should be able to handle the rest... You should have taken all his info at the time of the accident though...like license and insurance info, home address and stuff...but see what the cops say!

Time is running out to file that report so since you tried to be nice..and it didn't work out....get that report!
Old 04-01-2003, 07:31 PM
bruce_91zx
engiNERD

Jon, call the cops. Get an officer to look at the pics, and the damage on his car and yours. Once the cop sees that it was his car that hit yours, tell the cop that you want the man's insurance and information. He will HAVE to give it at the cops request even though this might have been a few days ago. Once you get that, file a claim. Go to the police dept. to get the report btw, more than likely the cop won't come to just hand it to you.

This is through experience. Good luck bro.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:46 PM
99accord520

Yup, through experience, if he didn't give you the money for the quote you got, then get the cops involved. You have the picture to prove it...so get the law involved before you waste anymore time.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:50 AM
Go-N-Low

Hate to tell you but that looks like a private parking lot....and cops are not going to write a report about an accident that happen on private property (In most areas) But still try.....
Old 04-02-2003, 07:33 AM
Teg711
Purge This...

you could actually have him charged with evasion of a criminal action if he wants to be a cheap prick about it. he should have given you his info...i say screw the cheap miser out of every penny you can..
Old 04-02-2003, 07:41 AM
dantastic
cx power!

Originally posted by AccordCutie
I think by law, you have to get his name, address, phone, and insurance info, and copy his plate down too. If you can do that, claim it against his insurance, and you don't have to go to yours. That's what I did, and I got my money to fix my bumper from the other person's insurance.

thats pretty much what u do. if the dude doenst give u his insurance info, then u have the right to press charges for a hit and run. tell him that you dont want to talk to him, just his insurance company. oh yea, u need to file a police report too. doenst matter if its in a private parking lot or not
Old 04-02-2003, 11:02 AM
Go-N-Low

Just wondering but how many of you are attorneys since you all seem willing to spit out legal advice with such authority?