Notices

Need help...What workshop manual do you recommend?

Old 02-27-2005, 06:47 PM
MaxOctane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help...What workshop manual do you recommend?

The timing belt on my 91 integra LS broke and now the valves are all bent up. Anyway, I found a place that would fix it for ~$750, but that's a bit rich for me. I want to try and do it myself, and I wanted to know what you would recommend as a good workshop manual. I've had back luck with Hayne's...what about Chilton? Anything else?

I've never worked on an overhead cam engine before, but I'm not an idiot - I'm pretty sure I can do it. Anyway, below is a list of things I would expect to do during this project. For those of you who are more advanced in engine repair, if you wouldn't mind looking over what I have listed, and if you see any complications, or anything I am missing I would greatly appreciate it if you replied.

1. Remove valve cover and timing belt covers.
2. Remove cam caps and cams
3. Remove head bolts and remove head.
4. Take head to machine shop to have valve work done
5. Replace head using new gasket
6. Install cams and timing belt. Set valve lash.
7. replace timing belt cover and valve cover

I figure special tools I will need that I don't already have are:

1. Feeler gauges
2. valve adjustment tool
3. breakinger bar? (for removing head bolts?)

Do you think I will have any problems getting the head bolts out? Also, will I need to remove the harmonic balancer?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:54 PM
dubcac
I

Helms is the best. Haynes and Chiltons don't compare.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:59 PM
MaxOctane

Where can I get a Helm's workshop manual?
Old 02-27-2005, 07:00 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Haynes and Chilton manuals are both poor choices.
IMO, there is no subsitute for the HELMS Factory Shop Manual.
EDIT >> http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r= <<

--
At what RPM did the belt fail? Given that the B18A1 is an interference design..the head may be severely damaged. You may have lucked out and only bent valves, but you won't know the full extent of the damage until you have the head off.

If the impact was enough to bend valves, you might want to consider replacing the head with one from a low-mileage wrecked B18A1 or B1.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 02-28-2005 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Wrong URL; Thanks to carta79 for catching it.. :)
Old 02-27-2005, 07:05 PM
dubcac
I

I had the same thing happen to me. I replaced the head with a used one, and replaced the head gasket, intake manifold gasket, and timing belt. Like Dave said, it's cheaper to just find a used head than go through the process of rebuilding yours.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:13 PM
MaxOctane

Sorry to sound ignorant, but which cars use the B18A1 or B1 engine? I've been looking around at salvage yards for 91 integra's, but I know other cars will work. If I had a year range and car model to look for it will be very helpful.

BTW, the car is my wife's. She claims she might have been accelerating when it broke, maybe going 3K or so while changing from 3rd to 4th gear. Anyway, how can I tell if the head is usable or in bad shape? Will I be able to tell if the valves are bent?

Also, thanks again for your replies. They are very helpful.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:05 PM
dubcac
I

You can use any head from a B18A1, B18B, or B20B/Z engine...this covers the Integra LS from 1990-2001, and the CRV from 1997-2000.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:02 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by MaxOctane
Sorry to sound ignorant, but which cars use the B18A1 or B1 engine? I've been looking around at salvage yards for 91 integra's, but I know other cars will work. If I had a year range and car model to look for it will be very helpful.

BTW, the car is my wife's. She claims she might have been accelerating when it broke, maybe going 3K or so while changing from 3rd to 4th gear. Anyway, how can I tell if the head is usable or in bad shape? Will I be able to tell if the valves are bent?

Also, thanks again for your replies. They are very helpful.
When you get the stock head off, the extent of the damage should be readily apparent. Since Honda uses hyperecutic (high-pressure cast) pistons, they ought to be okay. h: (I'm sorry if that last comment sounds disconcerting; you can't do a whole lot of diagnosis over the web.)

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 02-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

You could also find a .PDF of a service manual for your model. Then you can get the exact information as they see it at the dealership when they fix it and you then you can print the pages you need.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:13 AM
carta79
Life after death

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
Haynes and Chilton manuals are both poor choices.
IMO, there is no subsitute for the HELMS Factory Shop Manual.
www.helmsinc.com

http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r=