Notices
Showroom Find you some "show" for your "go."

Prepping my car for paint...primer...

Old 12-31-2005, 08:06 AM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepping my car for paint...primer...

Alright, got about 80% of my cars body assembled. Right now my front bumper is a light blue, red fenders, purple side skirts, and the rest of the car is orange :wtf:, except the hood which is a primer grey. I was originally going to just prep the entire front end and get it sprayed by a guy down the road in a flat black primer and have the rest of the car be orange. Then i just figured might as well have the entire body sprayed flat black. The reason its all different colors is i took off the sideskirts, bumper, fenders hood...etc etc to go to the 99-00 front end on my 97 hatch.

My reason is, im a SR right now and applied to a few schools. The one I really hope i get accepted to is Penn Tech (penn state) for autobody. Almost every autobody school i attended to take a tour encourages you to work on your own car. All you pay most of the time is supplies. I have seen some killer paint jobs kids have done for less than $100.

Now my q is will a flat black hold up pretty much through the winter and the summer until I head out to school. Not even a year basically. It will be garage kept throughout the winter mostly getting turbo and they dont salt up here, only cinders.

I asked, me prepping just him spraying will be pretty cheap, alot cheaper than i thought. He is really nice, he knows my car, knows my family and fixed my sisters cars a few times. Only thing is he sucks at masking (he is a 60yr old man who does it for fun, and dosent make really any profit). I will be prepping 100% and have no problem spending 10-20hrs sanding or how ever long it takes.

So really my question is will the flat black hold up and not fade/ look like crap once summer comes?

Which brings me to my next q, prepping. My body is pretty mint. Not a single scratch nor dent. On the roof a bit of clear is pealing the size of a 1/2 dollar. When prepping should i pretty much just sand with a med grit paper to even everything out?
Old 12-31-2005, 09:27 AM
AcuraFanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd sand it out until you can't feel the clear coat raise. I'd recommend wetsanding it with some 2000 afterwards just to be on the safe side.